Posted to alt.home.repair

Default northern california skilled labor rates

i'm looking to hire some people to do some work for me and i'm wondering if
anyone in northern california (bay area) can comment on the going per hour
rates for the following trades:
finish carpentry
plumbing
electrical
i've never hired anyone before so i just want to get an idea of how much to
expect to pay in this area so i can avoid sticker shock.
thanks,

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Chris Miller" wrote:

i'm looking to hire some people to do some work for me and i'm wondering if
anyone in northern california (bay area) can comment on the going per hour
rates for the following trades:
finish carpentry
plumbing
electrical
i've never hired anyone before so i just want to get an idea of how much to
expect to pay in this area so i can avoid sticker shock.
thanks,

With respect, if you're doing your research on usenet for labor rates in
your area, you aren't qualified to be your own GC.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Chris Miller wrote in message ...
i'm looking to hire some people to do some work for me and i'm

wondering if
anyone in northern california (bay area) can comment on the going per

hour
rates for the following trades:
finish carpentry
plumbing
electrical
i've never hired anyone before so i just want to get an idea of how

much to
expect to pay in this area so i can avoid sticker shock.
thanks,

Plumbing where I am...around $70.00 per hour for minor things like
replacing faucets, a major break in my sprinkler system, replacing all
the pipes cost $3500.00. Snaking the lines cost $300.00. Electrical
has been pretty expensive I think. $175.00 to put plug in, $200.00 to
put a range hood in. I'm close to Sacramento, so I'm sure it's much
more in the Bay Area. I imagine they will give you an estimate of the
whole job though, at least they did to me. Ask for a written estimate,
and agree to be consulted if it's going to run over cost.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

i don't see what's wrong with seeing what other people have found the going
rate to be in a given area, especially when one is new to that area. seems
perfectly reasonable and can't possibly hurt to have more info.

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Chris Miller" wrote:

i'm looking to hire some people to do some work for me and i'm wondering
if
anyone in northern california (bay area) can comment on the going per
hour
rates for the following trades:
finish carpentry
plumbing
electrical
i've never hired anyone before so i just want to get an idea of how much
expect to pay in this area so i can avoid sticker shock.
thanks,

With respect, if you're doing your research on usenet for labor rates in
your area, you aren't qualified to be your own GC.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"aptpupil" wrote:

i don't see what's wrong with seeing what other people have found the going
rate to be in a given area, especially when one is new to that area. seems
perfectly reasonable and can't possibly hurt to have more info.

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Chris Miller" wrote:

i'm looking to hire some people to do some work for me and i'm wondering
if
anyone in northern california (bay area) can comment on the going per
hour
rates for the following trades:
finish carpentry
plumbing
electrical
i've never hired anyone before so i just want to get an idea of how much
expect to pay in this area so i can avoid sticker shock.
thanks,

With respect, if you're doing your research on usenet for labor rates in
your area, you aren't qualified to be your own GC.

here. Labor rates vary all over the board in any locale, and there are
*far* more important considerations than dollars per hour when hiring a
contractor. Furthermore, if he's worried about "sticker shock" it's a
clear indication that he's begun a project about which he's done
abysmally little research or planning. Also, he evidently has no frame
of reference from which to evaluate a bid that he might receive.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message

here. Labor rates vary all over the board in any locale, and there are
*far* more important considerations than dollars per hour when hiring a
contractor. Furthermore, if he's worried about "sticker shock" it's a
clear indication that he's begun a project about which he's done
abysmally little research or planning. Also, he evidently has no frame
of reference from which to evaluate a bid that he might receive.

In addition, labor rates don't tell the whole picture. Right now I have to
electricians (both are independent) and one charges $45/hour the other is
$65. Which is the cheapest to use? The $65 guy that does almost double the
work of the second

I also have two carpenters working at $45, a bargain for what they do.

Rates can vary but don't expect less than $45 and some trades can hit $100..

Then there are the tile & carpet guys. They did four days work in only
three weeks. They are not getting paid by the hour but I just want them to
get done and get out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 24, 11:03 pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"Chris Miller" wrote:

i'm looking to hire some people to do some work for me and i'm wondering if
anyone in northern california (bay area) can comment on the going per hour
rates for the following trades:

With respect, if you're doing your research on usenet for labor rates in
your area, you aren't qualified to be your own GC.

Most likely, but if you hear and can't ignore the call, you have to
start somewhere.- (Unknown, so I'll take credit)

Education is it's own reward, but it rarely comes cheap. (Ditto)
-----

- gpsman
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

Chris Miller wrote:
i'm looking to hire some people to do some work for me and i'm wondering if
anyone in northern california (bay area) can comment on the going per hour
rates for the following trades:
finish carpentry
plumbing
electrical
i've never hired anyone before so i just want to get an idea of how much to
expect to pay in this area so i can avoid sticker shock.
thanks,

Checkbook magazine rates and ranks local trades people by collecting and
analyzing survey data from subscribers and other members of the public.
The forums on Craigslist.org also discuss these issues, but in my
opinion the discussions there are much more anecdotal and therefore less
reliable. By the way, I paid $90/hour for a plumber to do a number of
minor repairs last month; many neighbors said that was cheap these days.
Paul in San Francisco

Question for Northern California Woodworkers bdeditch Woodworking 8 April 12th 06 06:33 AM
Skilled Trades? Cliff Metalworking 0 January 8th 06 01:06 AM
Skilled Trades? Cliff Metalworking 0 January 8th 06 01:03 AM
woodworking in northern california bridger Woodworking 8 August 21st 05 07:57 PM
Robland X31 and Shopsmith for sale- Northern California Jerry Hall Woodworking 0 November 7th 03 12:55 AM