Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Moving an automatic damper

I've got an HVAC system with two zones and an automatic damper
separating the zones. I'd like to reconfigure the second zone,
however, so that the zone encompasses just the master bedroom suite
instead of the entire wing of the house that it currently covers. The
ducting is already set up for this, but I know nothing about moving
the damper and/or even where precisely it was put. Before i start
crawling around my crawlspace looking for it, can anyone chime in on
how tough a job this is going to be and what to look out for? I'm
pretty handy and have done HVAC work before, but just with the
mechanical ducting and nothing with dampers. I'm envisioning a best
case scenario where I can easily see where the current damper is by
following external wires (I presume it needs power and control),
cutting into the ducting, removing the damper, re-sealing the ducting,
then reinstalling the damper further down the run. Am I being naive?

Thanks in advance for any help