Posted to alt.home.repair
gas gas is offline

Default How to fix low water pressure

Hi.

Well my last post got useful replies, so I'm posting again.

I live on a really old farm house (200 years) in Switzerland. It's
fantastic, but the water pressure is too low. Showering is unpleasant,
and it would be nice to have more pressure in the sink too.

I don't think the pipes are clogged as I have had a plumber in to do some
work, and he checked into that for me. As far as I know the water has
always been the way it is.

I think there are two different problems. One is overall low water
pressure to the house, and the other is particularly low water pressure
from the hot water supply. The hot water system is pretty fancy, and I
haven't figured it out completely yet. There are two hot water tanks:
one is a heat store for the radiators, and the other is a hot water tank
for the taps. They are both connected to a wood stove, and the hot water
tank has a backup electric heater for when we aren't burning wood (i.e.
the summer).

Any idea why the pressure is lower coming from the water heater? What
should I look into for that? As for the general water pressure in the
house, is there anything that can be done about that?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 12, 7:53*am, gas wrote:
[...]

I just replaced 50ft 60 yr old of 3/4" HW pipe that was completely
clogged, The heat causes pipe to calcify faster than the cold line.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 12, 9:22�am, ransley wrote:
On Mar 12, 7:53�am, gas wrote:

[...]

clogged, The heat causes pipe to calcify faster than the cold line.- Hide quoted text -

so exactly how did the plumber check the pipes? what are the pipes
made of? copper galvanized steel, etc. has the house ever been
replubed and how long ago was it? what diameter are the lines?

do you have a well or city water? if city water what does the company
say
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 12, 5:53*am, gas wrote:
[...]

You don't mention the water source. If it is from a well, it is a
simple process to adjust the pressure switch.

Be sure first of all that it is _not_ partially blocked pipes or a
forgotten valve not open all the way. Purchase a pressure gauge that
connects to faucets and check your pressure beginning from the one
closdest to the water source hopefully at either the well or the
commercial system. Proceeding from there. That should show some
slight decrease in pressure as you proceed away from that point
(assuming there is good pressure at the beginning point). If you run
into a sudden drop, that locates a partially blocked pipe.

Note that you have to do the pressure check with the water running as
even an almost totally blocked pipe will show full system pressure if
taken 'static', i.e., no water running.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

Just wanted to say thanks for all the replies. The questions were also
useful. I'm going to look more into it.