Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bad Washer Transmission?

About a year ago I replaced a bad motor to transmission coupling on a
Kitchen Aid washer. Today, the washer stopped spinning. I took a look
and the coupling had broken. While I had everything disassembled, I
rotated the tub with my hand and noticed the transmission shaft that
connects to the coupling did not turn. Does this mean the transmission
has failed?

Just wondering before I buy a new coupling tomorrow or if I need to
consider a new transmission or perhaps a new washer since the one I
have is about 13 years old.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"gwtx2" wrote in message
About a year ago I replaced a bad motor to transmission coupling on a
Kitchen Aid washer. Today, the washer stopped spinning. I took a look
and the coupling had broken. While I had everything disassembled, I
rotated the tub with my hand and noticed the transmission shaft that
connects to the coupling did not turn. Does this mean the transmission
has failed?

Just wondering before I buy a new coupling tomorrow or if I need to
consider a new transmission or perhaps a new washer since the one I
have is about 13 years old.

The transmission is probably OK. The tub will free wheel in one direction
IIRC. This is because the motor can stop at the end of the spin cycle and
the tub will just keep spinning till it runs out of steam.

Most issues I have seen with top loading washers have been minor issues like
your coupler.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.