Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hum sound from Spa breaker box

I can hear it from inside the house. This GFCI breaker box has been
out there for two years and now it's starting to hum. Should I be
concerned? How to fix?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bryan" wrote in message
I can hear it from inside the house. This GFCI breaker box has been
out there for two years and now it's starting to hum. Should I be
concerned? How to fix?

If it's a rain tight breaker box with a double pole gfci breaker, you've
likely got a bad breaker. If it's a GFCI protected contactor type spa
disconnect, like the one in the following link, it's likely a buzzing
contactor, which could be from dirt, or corrosion, and probably needs to be
replaced :
http://www.spadepot.com/shop/Spa-Dis...-P696C287.aspx

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks! It does look like the one in the link. This is only a couple
of years old. Am I really going to have to replace this entire $140
thing this often? Or is it just a smaller, read 'cheaper', part I can
replace?

Bryan

On Feb 24, 4:10 pm, "RBM" wrote:
"Bryan" wrote in message

I can hear it from inside the house. This GFCI breaker box has been
out there for two years and now it's starting to hum. Should I be
concerned? How to fix?

If it's a rain tight breaker box with a double pole gfci breaker, you've
likely got a bad breaker. If it's a GFCI protected contactor type spa
disconnect, like the one in the following link, it's likely a buzzing
contactor, which could be from dirt, or corrosion, and probably needs to be
replaced :http://www.spadepot.com/shop/Spa-Dis...enter-P696C287...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 24, 4:10 pm, "RBM" wrote:
"Bryan" wrote in message

I can hear it from inside the house. This GFCI breaker box has been
out there for two years and now it's starting to hum. Should I be
concerned? How to fix?

If it's a rain tight breaker box with a double pole gfci breaker, you've
likely got a bad breaker. If it's a GFCI protected contactor type spa
disconnect, like the one in the following link, it's likely a buzzing
contactor, which could be from dirt, or corrosion, and probably needs to
be
replaced
:http://www.spadepot.com/shop/Spa-Dis...enter-P696C287...

The contactor in the unit,(the thing that's buzzing), has an electromagnetic
coil that pulls the contacts together. If it doesn't seat properly, it will
buzz. Sometimes it's a matter of insect debris, or oxidation causing this.
Kill the power to the unit, open it up, look at it and see if you can clean
it up and stop the buzz. A little WD-40 may help, but don't get it on the
electrical contacts