Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Upstairs Radiator chirping every 1-2 minutes

I recently was without heat, my inspection (very amateur) of the
boiler led me to believe we had a frozen water paper somewhere.

My house has two zones, upstairs and downstairs. Both set to auto,
once I set to manual the heat began working and appears to still be
working.

However, the radiator upstairs has been chirping. It has been about
12 hours since I set to manual. I did promptly set back to auto
seconds after setting to manual and hearing what sounded like hot
water pumped out from the boiler.

Is this something I need to worry about? I have tried bleeding this
radiator and there was a bit of air, but not alot. Do I need to let
it bleed for a long time?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I recently was without heat, my inspection (very amateur) of the
boiler led me to believe we had a frozen water paper somewhere.

My house has two zones, upstairs and downstairs. Both set to auto,
once I set to manual the heat began working and appears to still be
working.

However, the radiator upstairs has been chirping. It has been about
12 hours since I set to manual. I did promptly set back to auto
seconds after setting to manual and hearing what sounded like hot
water pumped out from the boiler.

Is this something I need to worry about? I have tried bleeding this
radiator and there was a bit of air, but not alot. Do I need to let
it bleed for a long time?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Aaron

Bleed it until there is no more air

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

Is this something I need to worry about? I have tried bleeding this
radiator and there was a bit of air, but not alot. Do I need to let
it bleed for a long time?

Call a heating co. and have them install an automatic bleeder. No more
worries.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 03:50:05 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I recently was without heat, my inspection (very amateur) of the
boiler led me to believe we had a frozen water paper somewhere.

WAs it that cold in the house? It takes a long time for the pipes and
the water in the pipes to get below 32.

Even if it froze, as long as it didn't crack any water pipes, that's
not a problem, afaik.

My house has two zones, upstairs and downstairs. Both set to auto,
once I set to manual the heat began working and appears to still be
working.

Interesting. I don't have hot water heat, but for some reason it
takes 2 or 3 minutes for my oil/forced air furnace to turn on, after I
turn it on. I don't know what it's doing during that time.

But if the upstairs was cold, the heat should have gone on eventually
on automatic.

However, the radiator upstairs has been chirping.

An electronic radiator?

We're talking about hot water heat, right. I had that for 2 years and
it never made any noise. When the radiators needed bleeding, they
were cold but quiet. I guess maybe -- I forget -- there was a bit of
pounding when bleeding the air let water in quickly.

It has been about
12 hours since I set to manual. I did promptly set back to auto
seconds after setting to manual and hearing what sounded like hot
water pumped out from the boiler.

Why did you not want to hear hot water pumped out from the boiler?
BTW, and here I could be wrong, is it called a boiler if it is a "hot
water" system? I thought boilers made steam, but of course
nomenclature is not always perfectly logical.

Is this something I need to worry about? I have tried bleeding this
radiator and there was a bit of air, but not alot. Do I need to let
it bleed for a long time?

Until the water comes out. I suppose you could wait a day and try
bleeding it some more, but bleeding is not the goal. A hot radiator is
the goal. Feel the radiator and see if it is hot, or at least warm,
all the way to to the top. Has the room warmed up? I guess that is
the ultimate goal.