Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toilet doesn't flush right

While flushing the toilet earlier this evening, I think 2 other people in
the house turned on the water, which messed up my toilet's flush. The
water went down a lot of slowly than usual.

Now I just tried flushing it, and the water went up near the top of the
bowl, as if it is clogged. But then the water started going down again,
and it went all the way down to the hole within 30 seconds, which kinda
tells me that it isn't clogged. I've clogged the toilet many times
before, and the water always goes up near the top and takes an hour or so
before it goes back down to the normal level. This time, it went to the
top and then went all the way to the bottom in around 60 seconds.

I tried flushing a few more times, and the same thing happened. Water
went near the top and then went all the way down to the bottom in 60
seconds. Now the water level is about 2-3 inches from the bottom. Time
for me to go to bed, but will this problem require the plunger? I
consider that the last resort, as I hate having the toilet water splash
everywhere. Any easier solutions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 13, 9:32*am, "test" wrote:
[...]

Can't see why anybody else 'turning on the water' at the same time
would affect the flushing action of your toilet. Flushing, in most
toilets, uses the water held in the flush tank; which then refills
gradually before you can flush again.
Sounds like a slight blockage in the discharge pipe and/or perhaps a
blocked vent?
If you are not familiar with how toilets work get someone to check it
out for you.
You can also try plunging the bowl to see if the obstruction is close
enough to be dislodged.
Posted to alt.home.repair

test wrote:
While flushing the toilet earlier this evening, I think 2 other
people in the house turned on the water, which messed up my toilet's
flush. The water went down a lot of slowly than usual.

A toilet will flush (one time) if the water to the house is turned off! Your
problem is not with incoming water, it's with outgoing waste.

The line is clogged. The clog could be within the toilet fixture itself
(such as a hairbrush or the cat), or downstream.

Posted to alt.home.repair

plunger
Posted to alt.home.repair

poor flushing can be caused by clooged rim jets, and made worse by
other water use at time of flush.

the clogged interior passages can be easily fixed..........

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
poor flushing can be caused by clooged rim jets, and made worse by
other water use at time of flush.

the clogged interior passages can be easily fixed..........

Other water use should affect no tank toilet I've ever worked on.

Use a plunger to clear the partially blocked drain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Time
for me to go to bed, but will this problem require the plunger? I
consider that the last resort, as I hate having the toilet water splash
everywhere. Any easier solutions?

Stay away from fiber. Eat more greasy foods.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 13:54:40 -0500, "Blattus Slafaly £ ¥ 0/00 "
wrote:

If your rim jets are clogged you have bigger water problems.

Fixed a toilet for a Realtor once. A minor leak at a tank bolt, I
pulled the tank from the bowl for the fix. To my surprise there was a
syringe in the rim jet channel of the bowl. Somehow it was in the tank
and got past the flapper...I really don't know how. The toilet did
flush better

Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in news:jvl6r3p0eg9s7ckk8ejb3chei02jevimmt@
4ax.com:

--

Someone shootin' the **** I guess.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 13, 1:54�pm, "Blattus Slafaly � � 0/00 "
poor flushing can be caused by clooged rim jets, and made worse by
other water use at time of flush.

the clogged interior passages can be easily fixed..........

Water use at time of flush has nothing to do with it. The ball flap
closes before the water tank is empty. That would only affect the refill
time, of course if you are so stupid as to try and flush before the tank
is full and shut off it's your problem. If your rim jets are clogged you
have bigger water problems.

--

sorry wrong, at the moment you flush the flapper opens and water thru
that thin line that goes into the tube sticking up goes into the bowls

that water starts the wave that helps flush the toilet.

rim clogs from hard water are very common. over time stuff builds up.
easily and cheaply fixed too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That little squirt of water into the overflow tube is not likely to have
much impact on the flush rate of the toilet. �That water is only intended to
ensure the bowl is refilled once the flapper closes. �In the case of my
toilet, the valve has a 'no drip' feature that keeps the float up for a
couple seconds and the inlet water doesn't even start flowing until the tank
is about half empty and the flush is about complete.

sorry your wrong..........

i have fixed a bunch of toilets with internal sediment clog of bowl
rim.

its critical to starting the wave that actually gets the water moving
to flush.......

when the bowl rim holes get clogged water tends to just swirl around
and around, solids dont empty well
Posted to alt.home.repair

sorry wrong, at the moment you flush the flapper opens and water thru
that thin line that goes into the tube sticking up goes into the bowls
rim.

The thin line (refill tube) that goes through the line that sticks up
(overflow tube) can not possibly supply enough water for the
series of rim holes that start a swirling action.

that water starts the wave that helps flush the toilet.

And the bulk of the water comes from the flapper opening, not the
re-fill tube.

rim clogs from hard water are very common. over time stuff builds up.
easily and cheaply fixed too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 00:32:53 -0600, "test" wrote:

[...]

I have a very similar problem. every five years or so. The cause is
the wax seal softening* and letting air in to break the siphon during
the flushout cycle. I'll skip the probable theories for what's
happenings. Try replacing the wax seal. Whether it will work or not
it is a realtively easy task and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
Check the toilet bowl discharge passage for obstructions while you are
at it. Since you have the toilet taken out you have to replace the
seal anyway. Good luck.

*(My washroom toilet is offset a few feet from the basement furnace.
Maybe the heat softens the wax enough for it to break the seal
eventually.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark wrote:

HUGE SNIP

rim clogs from hard water are very common. over time stuff builds up.
easily and cheaply fixed too.

Always wondered about rm clogs.

How are they"...easly and cheaply fixed...?

TIA.

Please Flush Your Toilet [email protected] Home Repair 2 January 2nd 07 09:52 PM
Toilet flush handle to flush unit connection - What's the secret? Jonathan Telfer UK diy 2 August 6th 06 10:28 PM
toilet doesn't flush well badgolferman Home Repair 13 January 30th 06 02:26 PM
toilet won't flush justme UK diy 7 August 14th 05 01:19 AM
toilet makes other toilet flush Spitfire 1500 Home Repair 3 June 7th 04 03:28 AM