Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Another Roofing Question

Yesterday with air temp of 9 degrees F and 15-25 mph breeze, my worn
out 64-year-old ass tried to replace the shingles that were torn off.
At the very least, the underlayment is covered. In several places, I
had to simply nail shingles and so the roofing nail heads are exposed.
About an inch of snow overnight wth freezing rain later, and then an
1" of regular rain tomorrow.

Yeah, it's a no-no to have roofing nail heads exposed but is there
some type of adhesive that can be used this time of year to cover up
nail heads, or must I wait until a 50 degree F day comes along?

PS- Roofer appt. Thursday.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jack W wrote:

Yesterday with air temp of 9 degrees F and 15-25 mph breeze, my worn
out 64-year-old ass tried to replace the shingles that were torn off.
At the very least, the underlayment is covered. In several places, I
had to simply nail shingles and so the roofing nail heads are exposed.
About an inch of snow overnight wth freezing rain later, and then an
1" of regular rain tomorrow.

Yeah, it's a no-no to have roofing nail heads exposed but is there
some type of adhesive that can be used this time of year to cover up
nail heads, or must I wait until a 50 degree F day comes along?

PS- Roofer appt. Thursday.

It shouldn't be a problem if the roofer will be fixing it soon.
Otherwise, the asphalt tar type roof sealant will work if you bring
along a torch to warm up the area before application and keep it warm
for a minute for the sealant to flow. The trigger start torches are a
big help for this type of work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jack W" Windswept@Home wrote in message
Yesterday with air temp of 9 degrees F and 15-25 mph breeze, my worn
out 64-year-old ass tried to replace the shingles that were torn off.
At the very least, the underlayment is covered. In several places, I
had to simply nail shingles and so the roofing nail heads are exposed.
About an inch of snow overnight wth freezing rain later, and then an
1" of regular rain tomorrow.

Yeah, it's a no-no to have roofing nail heads exposed but is there
some type of adhesive that can be used this time of year to cover up
nail heads, or must I wait until a 50 degree F day comes along?

PS- Roofer appt. Thursday.

Do what Pete said. And, buy a small container of paint thinner or whatever
the tar directions suggest for cleaning the tool you smear the tar on with.
I don't remember what I used last time I did this. Might've been gasoline,
but dickin' around with a gas can in the garage when it's 9 degrees probably
isn't on your list of happy things to do.

I wonder if you could clean the tool with vodka, which will certainly come
in handy when you start getting estimates for a new roof.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

[...]

The sealant should be available in the usual caulking gun cartridge, so
cleanup should just be a throw away deal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 09:42:32 -0600, Pete C. wrote:

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

[...]

It is called Black Jack. Accept no substitutes.

Mike D.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jack W" wrote

Yesterday with air temp of 9 degrees F and 15-25 mph breeze, my worn
out 64-year-old ass tried to replace the shingles that were torn off.

brrr...

had to simply nail shingles and so the roofing nail heads are exposed.
About an inch of snow overnight wth freezing rain later, and then an
1" of regular rain tomorrow.

Yeah, it's a no-no to have roofing nail heads exposed but is there
some type of adhesive that can be used this time of year to cover up
nail heads, or must I wait until a 50 degree F day comes along?

I'd leave it for now, then when it's above freezing (and any ice has melted
off the roof), if still pending the work, I'd go up there with some sort of
silicone and just touch cover the nails all around. They wont hurt anything
for a short time as they are. If it's going to be a month or 2, I'd want to
cover them as temp thing.

Roofing Question SteveB Metalworking 0 October 2nd 07 04:26 PM
Question about roofing [email protected] Home Repair 2 September 18th 07 02:53 PM
re-roofing question al Home Repair 2 July 2nd 06 06:27 AM
Roofing question Ron Truitt Home Repair 1 October 5th 05 05:28 PM
Question about roofing [email protected] Home Repair 9 July 23rd 05 04:17 AM