Default Question about roofing

I am thinking of building apole barn garage and thought it might be
nice to immitate my roof line of my house since the building will be
next to it. It is a 10/12 pitch.

The barn will be 32 feet. How can I come up with a ridgeboard that
length? I know I will have to somehow tie several shorter lengths
together but what is the best way to do this?

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am thinking of building apole barn garage and thought it might be
nice to immitate my roof line of my house since the building will be
next to it. It is a 10/12 pitch.

The barn will be 32 feet. How can I come up with a ridgeboard that
length? I know I will have to somehow tie several shorter lengths
together but what is the best way to do this?

Stryped, if you've done your collar beams and collar ties properly, the
ridge board doesn't hold _anything_ up -- it's just a nailing surface for
your rafters. The ridge board _is_held_up_ by the rafters.

Therefore, it's easy to get a ridge board that long... just splice shorter
boards between the rafters, using a full-width lam. of 2x lumber on each
side, and about one nail every four inches of span (in both directions)
across the splice.

Don't forget to drop your lam plates down on the ridge far enough to give
clearance for the roofing or purlins.

LLoyd

So the rafters go on first? Looks like this may be harder to do by
myself than pre made trusses. I was thinking you put the ridgebord up
first then the rafters to that.

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

wrote in message
oups.com...
So the rafters go on first? Looks like this may be harder to do by
myself than pre made trusses. I was thinking you put the ridgebord up
first then the rafters to that.

You're making those troll noises again, Stryped.

Put up the ridge board first, on temporary supports. Nail the rafters to
it, and anchor them to the collar beams (using metal strap anchors). Add
the collar ties.
Add temporary diagonal bracing across the rafters. Remove the temporary
ridge supports. The rafters will hold up the ridge. The collar ties will
prevent the walls from spreading. The diagonals will prevent your whole
roof structure from laying over flat in a wind.

You don't seem to get much from text-only descriptions. Instead, why don't
you buy one of those nifty little books they sell at Home Depot and Lowes...
there's one on building pole barns, and it's got lots of really
pretty-colored pictures in it for the functionally illiterate.

LLoyd

JohnM

~Roy~ wrote:

Rent a sky hook at the local rental yard....very handy to have....for
holdin gup ridge boards, hoisting up bundles of shingles etc......

That's one of the real handy tools, but there's a long waiting list at
most places so you might want to reserve it.

John

Metal Roofing ptgoodman Home Repair 7 July 13th 06 03:47 AM
Roofing question - hot mop, insulation under bricks on flat roof Rick Cunningham Home Repair 1 July 23rd 04 04:37 PM