Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OK to remodel kitchen when the wife is pregnant?

I need to replace the cabinets, countertops, and replace the vinyl
flooring with tiles in the kitchen. Is it safe to do so when the wife
is 8 weeks pregnant? I won't be re-painting the kitchen, but what
about the dust and other things that might be airborne during the
remodeling? I expect it to take about 2-4 weeks, depending on how fast
the contractor can do it. I have most of the needed stuff in the
garage already (taking up space which is one reason I want to get it
done now) This is a single story home and the heater will be OFF
during the entire time.

I'd just like to get this done before moving on to more pressing
matters. but if it's a really bad idea, then I don't have to do it.
Or I may have her stay with relatives during that time if it's OK to
do it only if she's not present during the entire operation...

Raymond
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message ...

I need to replace the cabinets, countertops, and replace the vinyl
flooring with tiles in the kitchen. Is it safe to do so when the wife
is 8 weeks pregnant? I won't be re-painting the kitchen, but what
about the dust and other things that might be airborne during the
remodeling? I expect it to take about 2-4 weeks, depending on how fast
the contractor can do it. I have most of the needed stuff in the
garage already (taking up space which is one reason I want to get it
done now) This is a single story home and the heater will be OFF
during the entire time.

I'd just like to get this done before moving on to more pressing
matters. but if it's a really bad idea, then I don't have to do it.
Or I may have her stay with relatives during that time if it's OK to
do it only if she's not present during the entire operation...

Dust, chemical vapors, noise, stress ... I vote no.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 18:37:56 -0500, "Charles"
wrote:

wrote in message ...

[...]

Consult your doctors first.

Get a deadline on the work from the contractor.

Relatives or a Hotel rental for both of you - your choice.

Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

I need to replace the cabinets, countertops, and replace the vinyl
flooring with tiles in the kitchen. Is it safe to do so when the wife
is 8 weeks pregnant?

Should be. It will not be better later with a newborn.

I won't be re-painting the kitchen, but what
about the dust and other things that might be airborne during the
remodeling? I expect it to take about 2-4 weeks, depending on how fast

If they are reputable folks, this won't be that much of a problem. Ask them
to aim at 2 weeks though due to the prenancy issue and her needing not too
much disruption.

the contractor can do it. I have most of the needed stuff in the
garage already (taking up space which is one reason I want to get it
done now) This is a single story home and the heater will be OFF
during the entire time.

This is more of an issue than dust if you live north and essential once the
baby is born so you can't do it in winter next year.

I'd just like to get this done before moving on to more pressing
matters. but if it's a really bad idea, then I don't have to do it.
Or I may have her stay with relatives during that time if it's OK to
do it only if she's not present during the entire operation...

If you have a cold snap, might be best to stay with family for a day or so.
I presume here you don't live too far north or you couldnt shut off the heat
long at all.

Any reason why you have to turn the heat off? That is pretty wierd.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 00:20:51 +0000 (UTC), G. Morgan

I need to replace the cabinets, countertops, and replace the vinyl
flooring with tiles in the kitchen. Is it safe to do so when the wife
is 8 weeks pregnant? I won't be re-painting the kitchen, but what
about the dust and other things that might be airborne during the
remodeling? I expect it to take about 2-4 weeks, depending on how fast
the contractor can do it. I have most of the needed stuff in the
garage already (taking up space which is one reason I want to get it
done now) This is a single story home and the heater will be OFF
during the entire time.

I'd just like to get this done before moving on to more pressing
matters. but if it's a really bad idea, then I don't have to do it.
Or I may have her stay with relatives during that time if it's OK to
do it only if she's not present during the entire operation...

How do you expect her to do any cooking during those 2-4 weeks? Seriously, it
ain't gonna be any more convenient when the baby comes. Better get it out of
the way.

And paint the baby's room; while yer at it )

Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

cshenk wrote:

If you have a cold snap, might be best to stay with family for a day or so.
I presume here you don't live too far north or you couldnt shut off the heat
long at all.

Any reason why you have to turn the heat off? That is pretty wierd.

Thanks for the reply.

I am afraid running the heater will distribute all the dust during the
remodeling. So I plan to seal off all the vents and return duct during
the remodel. After the house is throughly cleaned, then use the
heater if I still need to.

I am in the San Francisco bay area. So by the time the remodeling is
done, it's likely that I won't need the heater until November..

Raymond

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
cshenk wrote:

If you have a cold snap, might be best to stay with family for a day or
so.
I presume here you don't live too far north or you couldnt shut off the
heat
long at all.

Any reason why you have to turn the heat off? That is pretty wierd.

Thanks for the reply.

Most welcome. I figure a first time Mom and Dad here grin. Otherwise
you'd not be quite as worried about a little dust.

I am afraid running the heater will distribute all the dust during the
remodeling. So I plan to seal off all the vents and return duct during
the remodel. After the house is throughly cleaned, then use the
heater if I still need to.

I doubt you wil have enough dust to worry about. You can just seal off the
vent to the kitchen with plastic for the interum and leave the rest running
as normal.

I am in the San Francisco bay area. So by the time the remodeling is
done, it's likely that I won't need the heater until November..

Heck, you barely need one g. If it's an issue, get some simple electric
oil filled ones for spot heating rooms. You only need one and can move it
about.

Not mentioned but figured if you are a new Dad on the way, there *are* a few
legit things to be careful of. This isnt inclusive but what comes to mind:

1- Do NOT let her lift anything the wrong way and sprain her back. It will
not heal until after the baby is born due to the changes in body weight.
Right now, thats just a caution but as she hits 6 months and on, a real
concern. Carry in the heavy bags from the grocery store for her. If you
dont have baggers to put them in the car, start going with her by 7th month
so you can load the car. You can always do a big monthly trip at need then
and little stuff between wont be a problem for her.

2- do NOT let her touch cat litter pans. Sorry dude, but if you have cats,
that is your job starting NOW and until the kid is born.

3- Best if she wears playtex gloves when cleaning with chemicals at least
for the first 6 months.

4- Best to not spraypaint anything when she is near. (Unlike mere dust, this
can be a hazard). Rolling paint, especially latex, is fine though. If you
need to spraypaint now, do it while she's grocery shopping and in the garage
then open the door g.

Other items, not really related to the newsgroup:

1- Money, dont go crazy with bottle heaters and all that. The ones with
plastic liners work very well for newborns and believe it or not, they like
it cold so heating isnt needed. If it makes you feel better, setting it in
a pot of water from the coffeemaker for a short time works just spiffy.
It's fine to just mix and put it in the fridge. What the kid cares about it
being held, not the temp of the milk.
- breast feeding at least the first month is highly recommended but
sometimes the mother has to have medications which make this not possible.
Have a few cans of premade ready at home before delivery 'just in case'.

2- skip the fancy changing tables. You will have no use for them and they
not only cost alot, they arent as efficient as just putting a towel on the
bed.

3- get a good car carrier and it doubles at home to keep the little one in
before they hit crawling age for a bit. Get the INFANT one, not the one that
is supposed to cover all sizes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

And sing the little tyke while you change their diaper. Songs you
know, songs you'll make up..... It'll have an impressing presence.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 21:14:33 -0500, h wrote:

OMG!! Really hard to believe that we are the same species that settled this
country in covered wagons. Good grief, man, she's not a porcelain doll,
she's just pregnant. Get over yourself. Women have been breeding for
thousands of years and a kitchen remodel is hardly hazardous. What does SHE
think about it? I bet she's not the Nervous Nelly you obviously are.

LOL. My wife flew regularly as a passenger in a helicopter for
business. I was a Nervous Nelly. She delivered after a long day of
work and not once did she miss work OR complain.

Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charles wrote:

wrote in message ...

[...]

Chemicals, no. What does she want to do?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message ...

I need to replace the cabinets, countertops, and replace the vinyl
flooring with tiles in the kitchen. Is it safe to do so when the wife
is 8 weeks pregnant? I won't be re-painting the kitchen, but what
about the dust and other things that might be airborne during the
remodeling? I expect it to take about 2-4 weeks, depending on how fast
the contractor can do it. I have most of the needed stuff in the
garage already (taking up space which is one reason I want to get it
done now) This is a single story home and the heater will be OFF
during the entire time.

I'd just like to get this done before moving on to more pressing
matters. but if it's a really bad idea, then I don't have to do it.
Or I may have her stay with relatives during that time if it's OK to
do it only if she's not present during the entire operation...

Raymond

There will be very few things that could have any affect. The first that
comes to mind is contact adhesive if they are putting down Formica
countertops, but even that is better than years ago. Most of the dust, while
not good for anyone, is no more harmful that stuff you breath every day.
They may solder some copper tubing, but in the whole remodel, that may be 20
minutes where she should avoid the fumes.

With a little common sense, very little to be concerned about. I'd go
ahead.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 8, 9:50*pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
wrote in ...

[...]

ahead.- Hide quoted text -

I don't think that there will be any problem with it. Even the air
that she breathing outside is worst than some dust that will come from
the kitchen remodeling.

http://www.planorealestateadvisor.com
http://www.planorealty.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Feb 8, 6:33*pm, wrote:
I need to replace the cabinets, countertops, and replace the vinyl
flooring with tiles in the kitchen. Is it safe to do so when the wife
is 8 weeks pregnant? I won't be re-painting the kitchen, but what
about the dust and other things that might be airborne during the
remodeling? I expect it to take about 2-4 weeks, depending on how fast
the contractor can do it. I have most of the needed stuff in the
garage already (taking up space which is one reason I want to get it
done now) This is a single story home and the heater will be OFF
during the entire time.

I'd just like to get this done before moving on to more pressing
matters. but if it's a really bad idea, then I don't have to do it.
Or I may have her stay with relatives during that time if it's OK to
do it only if she's not present during the entire operation...

Raymond

Woah, there. Stop everything -- or at least don't start it until you
do some research.

Make SURE your home is either (a) lead free, (b) built after 1978, or
(c) you plan to use lead-safe work practices. THIS IS ABSOLUTELY
CRITICAL. Some group in your area -- probably a not-for-profit, anti-
poverty agency can test your home and help find contractors.

Also check out:

http://www.hud.gov/offices/lead/healthyhomes/index.cfm
http://www.leadsafetraining.org/
If you are doing the work yourself, go get the training.

I'm going to repeat myself: It is absolutely critical that you use
lead-safe work practices or ensure that you have no lead in the house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Your only problem is time! You wont have any spare after the baby is born.
Do it now.

"buffalobill" wrote in message
On Feb 8, 6:33 pm, wrote:
I need to replace the cabinets, countertops, and replace the vinyl
flooring with tiles in the kitchen. Is it safe to do so when the wife
is 8 weeks pregnant? I won't be re-painting the kitchen, but what
about the dust and other things that might be airborne during the
remodeling? I expect it to take about 2-4 weeks, depending on how fast
the contractor can do it. I have most of the needed stuff in the
garage already (taking up space which is one reason I want to get it
done now) This is a single story home and the heater will be OFF
during the entire time.

I'd just like to get this done before moving on to more pressing
matters. but if it's a really bad idea, then I don't have to do it.
Or I may have her stay with relatives during that time if it's OK to
do it only if she's not present during the entire operation...

Raymond

send her to las vegas while you complete the job.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pat wrote:

I'm going to repeat myself: It is absolutely critical that you use
lead-safe work practices or ensure that you have no lead in the
house.

Ditto with uranium (it decomposes to lead) Þ

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Feb 9, 6:01*am, "dadiOH" wrote:
Pat wrote:
I'm going to repeat myself: It is absolutely critical that you use
lead-safe work practices or ensure that you have no lead in the
house.

Ditto with uranium (it decomposes to lead) *Þ

An excellent suggestion. Well, maybe no uranium (that would be a
different problem altogether) but while he's doing pre-baby work, he
should check for Radon.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico

Posted to alt.home.repair

I need to replace the cabinets, countertops, and replace the vinyl
flooring with tiles in the kitchen. Is it safe to do so when the wife
is 8 weeks pregnant? I won't be re-painting the kitchen, but what
about the dust and other things that might be airborne during the
remodeling? I expect it to take about 2-4 weeks, depending on how fast
the contractor can do it. I have most of the needed stuff in the
garage already (taking up space which is one reason I want to get it
done now) This is a single story home and the heater will be OFF
during the entire time.

I'd just like to get this done before moving on to more pressing
matters. but if it's a really bad idea, then I don't have to do it.
Or I may have her stay with relatives during that time if it's OK to
do it only if she's not present during the entire operation...

Raymond

Of all the stupid places to pose such a question ... go see her doctor.

--

Regards,

Twayne

OO0 is a GREAT MS Office replacement
www.openoffice.org

Please respond to the newsgroup, not to
my e-mail, so that all may benefit. I do not
always respond to newsgroup e-mails.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

cshenk wrote:

If you have a cold snap, might be best to stay with family for a day or so.
I presume here you don't live too far north or you couldnt shut off the heat
long at all.

Any reason why you have to turn the heat off? That is pretty wierd.

Thanks for the reply.

I am afraid running the heater will distribute all the dust during the
remodeling. So I plan to seal off all the vents and return duct during
the remodel. After the house is throughly cleaned, then use the
heater if I still need to.

I am in the San Francisco bay area. So by the time the remodeling is
done, it's likely that I won't need the heater until November..

Raymond

If you make a reasonable effort to contain the dust from the demo
portion of the job, it should not
create a hazard very different than just living in the home. From the
work you describe, I can't
imagine a hazard particular to a pregnant woman. I would worry more if
you were sanding old
(lead) paint. You can tape up tarps to close up the room, cover the
vents in the room, clean up with shop vac.
Flu season is far more dangerous to early pregnancy than the work you
describe. Last time I checked,
the routine advice for pregnancy is to keep doing what you normally do.
My daughter was riding
horses when pg, although not great advice for the early days.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Norminn" wrote in message
Charles wrote:

Dust, chemical vapors, noise, stress ... I vote no.

Chemicals, no. What does she want to do?

We had our kitchen remodeled last year. The finish on the new cabinets was
very strong smelling for the first month or so (even though they were
shipped to us already finished). Second, several of the adhesives used were
very stinky. Are these odors potentially dangerous? I really don't know
but I'd be very cautious.

Posted to alt.home.repair

you might ask her doctor.

in any case lead should be a big concern

if you go ahead and the baby has ANY TROUBLE at all mom will blame it
on you and your project

as a note of warning some friends waited till after the baby arrived,
and the job dragged.

their son got into home repairs, by 2 he was helping resand already
finished walls, helping demolish a new section of drywall. you get the
picture. its not good. his efforts made the job much worse.

although it has made for funny stories.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charles wrote:
"Norminn" wrote in message
Charles wrote:

Dust, chemical vapors, noise, stress ... I vote no.

Chemicals, no. What does she want to do?

We had our kitchen remodeled last year. The finish on the new cabinets was
very strong smelling for the first month or so (even though they were
shipped to us already finished). Second, several of the adhesives used were
very stinky. Are these odors potentially dangerous? I really don't know
but I'd be very cautious.

Don't know about modern cabinet finishes and carpets and such, but 30
years ago, the outgassing from those items, stored in a staging
warehouse near an apartment project I was working on, would nearly knock
me on my ass every time I went to pick up a load. I was only in there
for maybe 20 minutes at a time, but would leave with burning eyes and a
headache. Note that this WAS in the summer, and the warehouse, though
dry, was probably 100 degrees inside.

aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:

Charles wrote:

"Norminn" wrote in message

Charles wrote:

[...]

Would that have been formaldehyde? I haven't read much about that issue
- mostly in particle board? We had new kitchen doors, drawers and
refacing about 5 years ago. No odors in those, other than
the contact cement and that didn't persist. Doing work in the dead of
winter would not be my choice - dry, warm weather allows more work
outdoors and can ventillate without driving anyone out.

The folks who suggested checking with a physician gave the best advice.
The first trimester is critical time, but life is full of hazards
nowadays. The stress could be an issue, because pg is stressful and
emotions get pretty crazy from hormones - my pregnancy test x3 was
suddenly being unable to tolerate the smell of coffee brewing )