Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Adding pressure alanced shower valve.

Don't have one in the shower and after a hot experience or two, my wife insists
that I replace the old style with a pressure balanced model.

I can cut and solder copper pipe pretty well, but is replacing the valve inside
a shower wall a job for a plumber?

There isn't much room in the wall after removing the front plate, and the other
side of the wall is a tiled bathroom also.

I was thinking that if I have to remove some tiles, (and break them) I could add
a matching style in a different color and make it look like it was done on
purpose.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 7, 11:52�am, RedOne77 wrote:
Don't have one in the shower and after a hot experience or two, my wife insists
that I replace the old style with a pressure balanced model.

I can cut and solder copper pipe pretty well, but is replacing the valve inside
a shower wall a job for a plumber?

There isn't much room in the wall after removing the front plate, and the other
side of the wall is a tiled bathroom also.

I was thinking that if I have to remove some tiles, (and break them) I could add
a matching style in a different color and make it look like it was done on
purpose.

honestly its a big job, with two baths back to back i would hire a
plumber.
me and my neighbor just replaced mine, it took a good 10 hours, and
lots of hassles. back side inside a closet, inconvenient but doable

much better than pressure balance is pressure temperature with flow
control. bought a delta, no matter what it holds temperature within 3
degrees.

money well spent.

a experienced person should be able to remove the tiile with minimum
breakage, could you steal some from say under a sink for repairs?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RedOne77" wrote in message
There isn't much room in the wall after removing the front plate, and the
other
side of the wall is a tiled bathroom also.

I was thinking that if I have to remove some tiles, (and break them) I
could add
a matching style in a different color and make it look like it was done on
purpose.

Getting to the valve is the hard part. Actual replacement takes a few
minutes. If you are comfortable removing the tiles, then go for it. I hung
a mirror on the wall where I had to cut it out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Getting to the valve is the hard part. �Actual replacement takes a few
minutes. �If you are comfortable removing the tiles, then go for it. �I hung
a mirror on the wall where I had to cut it out.

do note if new valve replaces old 3 handle valve things may not line
up well, and valve must be solidly anchored you cant depend on tile
wall to support valve without another mount spot

Posted to alt.home.repair

RedOne77 wrote:
Don't have one in the shower and after a hot experience or two, my wife insists
that I replace the old style with a pressure balanced model.

I can cut and solder copper pipe pretty well, but is replacing the valve inside
a shower wall a job for a plumber?

There isn't much room in the wall after removing the front plate, and the other
side of the wall is a tiled bathroom also.

I was thinking that if I have to remove some tiles, (and break them) I could add
a matching style in a different color and make it look like it was done on
purpose.

A couple of years ago on Ask This Old House they did that. They used a
valve that came with a large cover plate to cover the hole you had to cut
in the tile.

Bill Gill

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 8, 9:13�am, BillGill wrote:
RedOne77 wrote:
Don't have one in the shower and after a hot experience or two, my wife insists
that I replace the old style with a pressure balanced model.

I can cut and solder copper pipe pretty well, but is replacing the valve inside
a shower wall a job for a plumber?

There isn't much room in the wall after removing the front plate, and the other
side of the wall is a tiled bathroom also.

I was thinking that if I have to remove some tiles, (and break them) I could add
a matching style in a different color and make it look like it was done on
purpose.

A couple of years ago on Ask This Old House they did that. �They used a
valve that came with a large cover plate to cover the hole you had to cut
in the tile.

Bill Gill

tile can be removed without breaking, i have done that myself.