Posted to alt.home.repair

Default looking for suggestions for vacuum cleaner

I've been borrowing a friends Dirt devil and really should get my own
vac, any suggestions?
Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Feb 6, 10:47*pm, Tater wrote:
I've been borrowing a friends Dirt devil and really should get my own
vac, any suggestions?

I have an electrolux upright going on 20 yrs old and still works
perfectly. You get what you pay for.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Tater wrote:

I've been borrowing a friends Dirt devil and really should get my own
vac, any suggestions?

Yep. Do enough thinking and research on your own to be able to ask a
meaningful question.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 17:47:00 -0800 (PST), Tater
wrote:

I've been borrowing a friends Dirt devil and really should get my own
vac, any suggestions?

Stay away from the bag less type. Especially if you live in an
apartment and do not have easy access to the outdoors. In
the bag less variety you release some dust when you empty
the canister. You must also clean the filter which releases even
more. It is best to do this maintenance outside.

It is easy to be duped into paying way to much for a deluxe vacuum.
There are plenty of them out there. Why not settle for a much cheaper
mainstream vacuum that works almost as good as the deluxe impress
your neighbor variety. When the cheaper one gives up, buy another.

Look at the reviews on www.epinions.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've been borrowing a friends Dirt devil and really should get my own
vac, any suggestions?

Postponement! Buy one when the friend's unit wears out.

Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tater wrote:

I've been borrowing a friends Dirt devil and really should get my own
vac, any suggestions?

Check the newest issue of Consumer Reports, March, 2008. Their
highest-rated upright is a Sears Kenmore Progressive Direct Drive,
#35922 or 35923, $300, but in 6th place (out of 307 uprights tested)
is a Hoover Tempo Widepath U514-900, only $60 (Amazon says $67). It
was slightly noisier and cleaned bare floors slightly worse. The
highest-rated Dirt Devli placed #26.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tater wrote:

I've been borrowing a friends Dirt devil and really should get my own
vac, any suggestions?

What size? How big?

I bought this for a small apartment and have been happy
so far

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=6486841
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 8:47*pm, Tater wrote:
I've been borrowing a friends Dirt devil and really should get my own
vac, any suggestions?

Come on guys...

It doesn't matter what you buy...they all suck.
Posted to alt.home.repair
TH TH is offline

On Feb 7, 1:02 am, "larry moe 'n curly"
wrote:
Tater wrote:
I've been borrowing a friends Dirt devil and really should get my own
vac, any suggestions?

Check the newest issue of Consumer Reports, March, 2008. Their
highest-rated upright is a Sears Kenmore Progressive Direct Drive,
#35922 or 35923, $300, but in 6th place (out of 307 uprights tested)
is a Hoover Tempo Widepath U514-900, only $60 (Amazon says $67). It
was slightly noisier and cleaned bare floors slightly worse. The
highest-rated Dirt Devli placed #26.

I own this Sears model and a Dysan. The Dysan is way better in
everything except stairs. Consumer Reports is as usual full of crap.
As for dust. There is none. There is no filter to clean, but emptying
it inside is not recommended. I take ours to the outside garbage, and
just pull the trigger to empty it. I'd never trade it for a bag
vacuum. BTW the bags for that Sears vacuum are 5 dollars a pop, and
last about 1-2 weeks of vacuuming and changing the bag is 100 times as
messy as emptying the bag less Dysan.

Posted to alt.home.repair

snip

changing the bag is 100 times as
messy as emptying the bag less Dysan.

How can that be? You said it is recommended to empty the
Dyson outside. Try emptying it inside and see if you'd still say
the bagless is less messy.

Posted to alt.home.repair
TH TH is offline

On Feb 7, 6:51 pm, wrote:
snip

changing the bag is 100 times as
messy as emptying the bag less Dysan.

How can that be? You said it is recommended to empty the
Dyson outside. Try emptying it inside and see if you'd still say
the bagless is less messy.

I have and it is.