Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do reduced flow shower heads increase potential for leaks?

Seems to me that flow restriction would create a back pressure in the
plumbing upstream of the shower head which would be greater than a free flow
head. In particular, a leak could be created at the gooseneck connection
behind the wall, which would be undetectable until major damage has been
done to the structure in the wall. Would removing the flow restrictor
device or using a non flow restricted head help. It would provide a more
pleasant shower. But that's just me.

How would one go about removing the restricting feature if I wanted to go
that route?

Thanks in advance for any knowledgeable responses.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 4:42�pm, "good ol' Bob" wrote:
Seems to me that flow restriction would create a back pressure in the
plumbing upstream of the shower head which would be greater than a free flow
head. �In particular, a leak could be created at the gooseneck connection
behind the wall, which would be undetectable until major damage has been
done to the structure in the wall. �Would removing the flow restrictor
device or using a non flow restricted head help. �It would provide a more
pleasant shower. �But that's just me.

How would one go about removing the restricting feature if I wanted to go
that route?

Thanks in advance for any knowledgeable responses.

they come out very easy.

as for leaks it probably doesnt matter since any shower head creates a
restriction,

shower without flow restrictor much better. thats what we do.

its just a small easy to remove piece of plastic, has to be easy to
remove in some areas low water pressure requires flow restrictor
removal
Posted to alt.home.repair

good ol' Bob wrote:
Seems to me that flow restriction would create a back pressure in the
plumbing upstream of the shower head which would be greater than a free flow
head. In particular, a leak could be created at the gooseneck connection
behind the wall, which would be undetectable until major damage has been
done to the structure in the wall. Would removing the flow restrictor
device or using a non flow restricted head help. It would provide a more
pleasant shower. But that's just me.

How would one go about removing the restricting feature if I wanted to go
that route?

Thanks in advance for any knowledgeable responses.

Doesn't matter. The most pressure in your pipes is developed when the
water is shut off everywhere in the house, if something is leaking it
needs to be fixed, messing with the shower head will not help it.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"good ol' Bob" wrote in message
Seems to me that flow restriction would create a back pressure in the
plumbing upstream of the shower head which would be greater than a free
flow head. In particular, a leak could be created at the gooseneck
connection behind the wall, which would be undetectable until major damage
has been done to the structure in the wall. Would removing the flow
restrictor device or using a non flow restricted head help. It would
provide a more pleasant shower. But that's just me.

How would one go about removing the restricting feature if I wanted to go
that route?

Thanks in advance for any knowledgeable responses.

The back pressure is minimal and won't cause leaks. The gooseneck should be
able to withstand a minimum of 20 times the pressure it will see.

As for better showers, you need the right type of head. Don't confuse flow
with comfort. My low flow head is superior to most any shower I've ever
used. It is a Shower Saver brand and has a nice pattern.

Posted to alt.home.repair

personally i really like the adjustable shower heads on a hose, allows
picking a soft flow or massage.

the real advantage of these is ease of cleaning shower. makes it so
easy.

i removed the flow restrictor, and have a delta temperature flow
valve, and dont always use full flow.

flow restrictors are easy to remove or reinstall. directions come with
new shower head

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

personally i really like the adjustable shower heads on a hose, allows
picking a soft flow or massage.

the real advantage of these is ease of cleaning shower. makes it so
easy.

have a link to yours?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 7, 11:21�am, wrote:
" wrote:
personally i really like the adjustable shower heads on a hose, allows
picking a soft flow or massage.

the real advantage of these is ease of cleaning shower. makes it so
easy.

have a link to yours?

waterpick or some such, available everywhere like home depot and even
target.