Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Converting Roof Rafters Into Trusses

Hi All,

I want to remove a load-bearing wall that separates my living room
from my kitchen. The attic is constructed of regular roof rafters and
the span is roughly 25 feet. I'm exploring different methods of
accomplishing this. The obvious method is to install a beam, but I
also want to look into the prospect of converting the existing roof
rafters into trusses. I've been unable to find much useful
information online so far.

Can anybody recommend any resources (preferably online) that detail
the pros, cons, risks, and methods for a do-it-yourselfer to do such a
conversion? I don't know if I will do it this way or not, but I would
like some reputable websites that would at least tell me whether or
not I can.

Thanks to everyone for any information you can provide!

Ken
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

I am no engineer, however, while it may be theoretically possible to convert
rafters and ceiling joists into a truss, most roofs are not constructed in a
way that would allow a conversion to a truss, most notable the connection
between the rafter and the joist at the outside support walls plus any
splices or joints in the ceiling joists that may not align or not have any
torsional strength. Trusses are normally built unloaded, installed and the
load added. It would be difficult to conceive how to build it in place while
under load.

If you are just supporting a ceiling and not a second floor, it should be
possible to add a modest size gluelam beam to support the ceiling joists.
Getting it up and in the attic is the biggest challenge, but you may have
the same problem getting wood up and installed to create trusses.

wrote in message
Hi All,

I want to remove a load-bearing wall that separates my living room
from my kitchen. The attic is constructed of regular roof rafters and
the span is roughly 25 feet. I'm exploring different methods of
accomplishing this. The obvious method is to install a beam, but I
also want to look into the prospect of converting the existing roof
rafters into trusses. I've been unable to find much useful
information online so far.

Can anybody recommend any resources (preferably online) that detail
the pros, cons, risks, and methods for a do-it-yourselfer to do such a
conversion? I don't know if I will do it this way or not, but I would
like some reputable websites that would at least tell me whether or
not I can.

Thanks to everyone for any information you can provide!

Ken

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Hi All,

I want to remove a load-bearing wall that separates my living room
from my kitchen. The attic is constructed of regular roof rafters and
the span is roughly 25 feet. I'm exploring different methods of
accomplishing this. The obvious method is to install a beam, but I
also want to look into the prospect of converting the existing roof
rafters into trusses. I've been unable to find much useful
information online so far.

Can anybody recommend any resources (preferably online) that detail
the pros, cons, risks, and methods for a do-it-yourselfer to do such a
conversion? I don't know if I will do it this way or not, but I would
like some reputable websites that would at least tell me whether or
not I can.

Thanks to everyone for any information you can provide!

Ken

I have done this on several occasions where the original construction of
the roof had failed, or was inadequate to begin with. I did this under
the supervision of an engineer. He designed and inspected the
installation of plate gussets and braces to create what became a truss.
I have over 30 years of experience in construction and I would never
do this without an engineer. This is just one of those times where you
really need one.

You could however, install a beam in the attic to carry whatever needs
to be carried by the removal of the bearing wall. Even this would be a
good reason to contact an engineer for sizing, but if the situation is
simple enough, you may be able to size and install a beam.

Good luck.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Hi All,

I want to remove a load-bearing wall that separates my living room
from my kitchen. The attic is constructed of regular roof rafters and
the span is roughly 25 feet. I'm exploring different methods of
accomplishing this. The obvious method is to install a beam, but I
also want to look into the prospect of converting the existing roof
rafters into trusses. I've been unable to find much useful
information online so far.

Can anybody recommend any resources (preferably online) that detail
the pros, cons, risks, and methods for a do-it-yourselfer to do such a
conversion? I don't know if I will do it this way or not, but I would
like some reputable websites that would at least tell me whether or
not I can.

Thanks to everyone for any information you can provide!

Ken

Trusses were built with plywood gussets before the metal plate
method of construction was developed. Room permitting you could
probably build trusses in place the old way with plywood.

Needless to say, getting drawings approved by an engineer and your
local authorities will not be easy or cheap. Getting your butt into
the available space to do the construction won't be much easier.

I helped a friend make his own trusses for a shed years ago. I later
built a shed myself with trusses the same size. I bought my trusses.
It just wasn't worth the time to build when I could buy them for
almost the same cost as the material. The homemade trusses we made
were in my opinion just as good as the ones I bought.

In reality you are still going to have a kitchen and a living
room. A beam across the ceiling between the two rooms will not
look out of place. With a beam between the two areas you won't
have a battle trying to match the existing ceilings.

Keep it simple. The more you think about unconventional construction
the more likely you are to outsmart yourself.

LdB

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to squirrel, Keith Bittner wrote:
Hi Ken, did you ever find a solution? Keith

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...es-286108-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 10, 2017 at 7:14:08 PM UTC-5, Keith Bittner wrote:
replying to squirrel, Keith Bittner wrote:
Hi Ken, did you ever find a solution? Keith
--

Sadly all the squirrels died 8 years ago when the house burned down. The gerbils in the basement survived. It was a real tragedy! (~_~

[8~{} Uncle Sad Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/10/2017 7:19 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Monday, July 10, 2017 at 7:14:08 PM UTC-5, Keith Bittner wrote:
replying to squirrel, Keith Bittner wrote:
Hi Ken, did you ever find a solution? Keith
--

Sadly all the squirrels died 8 years ago when the house burned down. The gerbils in the basement survived. It was a real tragedy! (~_~

[8~{} Uncle Sad Monster

My dog hates squirrels, so she'll howl in glee at this news!

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to squirrel, Jesse wrote:
Double 2x10 lvl beams will work. I did it in my kitchen. The plans were drawn
up by a structural engineer. 25.5 ft span hip roof rafter framing 4/12 pitch.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...es-286108-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jesse
I ran across your post on your kitchen remodel regarding the question on converting rafters to trusses versus using a beam. you mention you did this on your kitchen so thought I would see if you could expand on what worked for you.
thanks
Doug

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...es-286108-.htm