Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Converting Roof Rafters Into Trusses

Hi All,

I want to remove a load-bearing wall that separates my living room
from my kitchen. The attic is constructed of regular roof rafters and
the span is roughly 25 feet. I'm exploring different methods of
accomplishing this. The obvious method is to install a beam, but I
also want to look into the prospect of converting the existing roof
rafters into trusses. I've been unable to find much useful
information online so far.

Can anybody recommend any resources (preferably online) that detail
the pros, cons, risks, and methods for a do-it-yourselfer to do such a
conversion? I don't know if I will do it this way or not, but I would
like some reputable websites that would at least tell me whether or
not I can.

Thanks to everyone for any information you can provide!

Ken