Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Refurbish Corian counter with DA Sander

I have a medium brown Corian counter that is a couple of years old. It is
beginning to show a lot of scratches and general wear. It seems that the
darker colors show scratches and wear much more than lighter colors. I'd
like to refurbish it without paying someone to do it for me. When they
installed it, I think they DA'd it with some polishing compound or something
and then just hand wiped it down. I don't really care about removing the
deep scratches, mainly just refurbish the overall finish some. I'm looking
for any advice on how to proceed with this. I have a PC 7424 DA sander that
I can use but don't really know how to do this properly. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Morgan" writes:

I have a medium brown Corian counter that is a couple of years old. It
is beginning to show a lot of scratches and general wear. It seems
that the darker colors show scratches and wear much more than lighter
colors. I'd like to refurbish it without paying someone to do it for
me. When they installed it, I think they DA'd it with some polishing
compound or something and then just hand wiped it down. I don't really
care about removing the deep scratches, mainly just refurbish the
overall finish some. I'm looking for any advice on how to proceed with
this. I have a PC 7424 DA sander that I can use but don't really know
how to do this properly. Any suggestions?

I've got a lighter color. After 3 years, no change in appearance.
They do say darker colors show more scratches. Good instructions
he

http://www2.dupont.com/Surfaces/en_U...rian_care.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

Morgan wrote:
I have a medium brown Corian counter that is a couple of years old.
It is beginning to show a lot of scratches and general wear. It
seems that the darker colors show scratches and wear much more than
lighter colors. I'd like to refurbish it without paying someone to
do it for me. When they installed it, I think they DA'd it with
some polishing compound or something and then just hand wiped it
down. I don't really care about removing the deep scratches, mainly
just refurbish the overall finish some. I'm looking for any advice
on how to proceed with this. I have a PC 7424 DA sander that I can
use but don't really know how to do this properly. Any suggestions?

1. Obtain polishing compound for acrylic. Even rubbing compound
should be OK
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...shing+compound

2. Place lamb's wool pad on buffer

3. Put compound on counter

4. Buff. SLOOOOWLY so as not to heat the surface.

The finer the compound the shinier the result.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote:
Morgan wrote:
[...]

In addition, make sure to wear a dust mask and clean up after
refinishing. Lot of people are irritated by the dust.

Frank
Posted to alt.home.repair

OK, thanks everyone. That's just the stuff I was looking for.

And in case anybody is wondering,
the darker colors show scratches MUCH more than the lights. The difference
is not subtle. If
I had known, I might have looked at some other options. Probably would have
gone with the
brown anyway, because it looks great here, but at least I would have known.
The first few weeks
was hell for us. After that, we got used to the scratches. We have since
started calling it
"patina" and moved on to other things. Now I'm going to give it a little
sprucing up though.

Thanks again.

"Frank" frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote in message
. ..
dadiOH wrote:
Morgan wrote:
[...]

working with Corian counter tops ? TimR Home Repair 3 September 30th 06 02:58 PM
Table top refurbish PVR Home Repair 3 October 30th 05 07:07 PM
Table top refurbish PVR Woodworking 2 October 27th 05 04:00 PM
Corian countertop, can I put on a corian sink to replace the stainless? [email protected] Home Repair 3 February 17th 05 03:33 PM
Corian Counter Question Plato Home Ownership 1 November 14th 03 07:31 PM