PVR

Default Table top refurbish

We have a 35 year old dining table in maple. Probably finished in
nitrocellulose. Over the years the appearance has deteriorated (some rings,
wax build up, scratches, etc) despite the use of table top leathers. Also,
use of recommended spray polishes, containing solvents, has had a negative
effect. I am trying to improve the appearance of this surface, using areas
which don't show, as follows.

1). Remove wax build-up with water/dish washing liquid.

2). Use an automotive finish rubbing compound followed by removal with a dry
cloth.

3). Use an automotive finish polishing compound followed by removal with a
dry cloth.

Results are mixed. Scratches are much reduced. High angle appearance is
improved. Low angle appearance is much worse with a hazy gloss.

I have considered having the table top refinished professionally but I have
not been happy with the shops around here.

Does anyone have any additional ideas regarding the refurbishment of my
table?

Peter.

Baron

"PVR" wrote in message
[...]

You're almost there. Your final step is not complete. You need to rub
out the top more thoroughly. It sounds like you need to start by polishing
with a coarser grit and work your way back to something like a mirror glaze.

Good Luck.