Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is a Whole house fan an asset?

That really is the main consideration. A 30" fan requires TEN square feet
of exhaust to function to maximum. When you get to figgering vent space,
that's quite a bit. And if the fan gets bigger, then the exhaust area
multiplies accordingly.

wrote in message
On 30 Jan 2008 09:23:02 -0800, Banty wrote:

But I was told that it's not good to use with ridge vents and soffit
vents.

I doubt they really allow enough air flow

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 19:15:47 -0600, S. Barker wrote:
That really is the main consideration. A 30" fan requires TEN square feet
of exhaust to function to maximum. When you get to figgering vent space,
that's quite a bit. And if the fan gets bigger, then the exhaust area
multiplies accordingly.

open a ****ing window.
Posted to alt.home.repair

You misunderstood. I'm talking about the exhaust area in the attic. You're
"open a window" idea only works if you happen to have a window in your
attic. I do have one house that has one, but it's not 10 sq. ft.

wrote:
That really is the main consideration. A 30" fan requires TEN square feet
of exhaust to function to maximum. When you get to figgering vent space,
that's quite a bit. And if the fan gets bigger, then the exhaust area
multiplies accordingly.

open a ****ing window.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 19:46:50 -0600, S. Barker wrote:
You misunderstood. I'm talking about the exhaust area in the attic. You're
"open a window" idea only works if you happen to have a window in your
attic. I do have one house that has one, but it's not 10 sq. ft.

Are you talking about a whole house fan, or an attic fan?

A whole house fan pulls air in from the house.
an attic fan just blows hot air out of the attic.
Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

AZ Nomad wrote:
On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 19:46:50 -0600, S. Barker wrote:

You misunderstood. I'm talking about the exhaust area in the attic. You're
"open a window" idea only works if you happen to have a window in your
attic. I do have one house that has one, but it's not 10 sq. ft.

Are you talking about a whole house fan, or an attic fan?

A whole house fan pulls air in from the house.
an attic fan just blows hot air out of the attic.

He said "whole house fan." That's pretty clear. They exhaust through
the attic.