Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is a Whole house fan an asset?

"Bumpy" wrote

I have a whole housefan in my ranch home, installed
in the center, of the home. It works beautifully, especially
in the cool nights of the summer. Its a quality unit, that I
installed about 10 years ago. It draws air through the windows
of all the rooms, out to the attic, and out to the ridge vents and
soffit vents. We don't use it anymore ,due to airconditioning,
and problems with outside allergies.
Down the road, we will be selling the home. We are debating wether
to remove it or keep it. We will be repainting and we are thinking about
removing it. Will it make any difference in selling our home?

Andy, if I were buying a home, a unit like that would be a major selling
point. We use ceiling fans in most rooms here and it really helps us to not
need the AC as much whiich in turn saves money and is 'evironmentally
friendly' (something we like).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 15:44:15 -0500, cshenk wrote:
[...]

ceiling fans don't cool a place. They make it feel cooler by aiding your own
evaporative cooling (persperation).

A whole fan will cool a place extremely well if, and only if, it is cooler
outside.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 22:02:39 -0000, AZ Nomad
wrote:

[...]

I call the fans an asset! My grandparents had a whole house fan.

They are great for evacuating burnt biscuit smoke also

Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
A whole fan will cool a place extremely well if, and only if, it is cooler
outside.

I call the fans an asset! My grandparents had a whole house fan.

They are great for evacuating burnt biscuit smoke also

I'd call a whole house fan an asset also. We had one in the house I spent
grades 8-12 in and it worked great during evenings when it was cool outside. It
drew cool air from downstairs (outside) and blew like a hurricane out through
the attic. The air temp would drop dramatically and it was cheaper to operate
than the air conditioning. We used ours primarily in the spring and fall.
Summers were too hot and winters too cold.

I'd love to have one where I live now.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

S. Barker wrote:
So put one in. It's an afternoon project.

It's not my house.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

S. Barker wrote:
So put one in. It's an afternoon project.

It's not my house.

It's also not an afternoon project to put in a whole house system. S Barker
might be thinking it was just a ceiling fan being discussed.

BTW, if it's a ceiling fan you'd like, ask the owners? Most will be happy
as long as it's properly installed. You'd have to pay to have it installed
professionally *or* if they trust you but it doesnt go right, to have it
removed then profesionally installed correctly. Not messing with your head
on that, but homeowners who rent are a little careful about tenants working
on the place.

Having one installed, is normally less than 100$

Posted to alt.home.repair

S. Barker wrote:
So put one in. It's an afternoon project.

It's not my house.

It's also not an afternoon project to put in a whole house system. S Barker
might be thinking it was just a ceiling fan being discussed.

BTW, if it's a ceiling fan you'd like, ask the owners? Most will be happy
as long as it's properly installed. You'd have to pay to have it installed
professionally *or* if they trust you but it doesnt go right, to have it
removed then profesionally installed correctly. Not messing with your head
on that, but homeowners who rent are a little careful about tenants working
on the place.

My landlord trusts me and the work I do. I've been living in his house for over
20 years now and the place is in better shape than the day I moved in.... mostly
due to the fact that I keep it up. I burned up a ceiling fan in the living room
and replaced it with a Hunter Classic. The rudimentary microwave over the stove
burned up and I replaced it with a very nice GE Spacesaver several generations
newer than the original. I put in the screen/storm doors. I generally don't
bother to ask permission, I just do it. The understanding is that any
improvements I make stay with the house when I move. In the meanwhile, I have
the pleasure of using the upgraded features. And in return, the landlord hasn't
raised the rent in over 15 years.

I don't plan on moving any time soon, either. I like where I live, although the
neighborhood has slipped some since I first arrived. But that's another story.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 20:21:57 -0500, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"

Oren wrote:
A whole fan will cool a place extremely well if, and only if, it is cooler
outside.

I call the fans an asset! My grandparents had a whole house fan.

They are great for evacuating burnt biscuit smoke also

I'd call a whole house fan an asset also. We had one in the house I spent
grades 8-12 in and it worked great during evenings when it was cool outside. It
drew cool air from downstairs (outside) and blew like a hurricane out through
the attic. The air temp would drop dramatically and it was cheaper to operate
than the air conditioning. We used ours primarily in the spring and fall.
Summers were too hot and winters too cold.

I'd love to have one where I live now.

Also, *great for evacuating* mid summer heat.

Whole house fans Rock!

Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Oren says...

Oren wrote:
A whole fan will cool a place extremely well if, and only if, it is cooler
outside.

I call the fans an asset! My grandparents had a whole house fan.

They are great for evacuating burnt biscuit smoke also

I'd call a whole house fan an asset also. We had one in the house I spent
grades 8-12 in and it worked great during evenings when it was cool outside. It
drew cool air from downstairs (outside) and blew like a hurricane out through
the attic. The air temp would drop dramatically and it was cheaper to operate
than the air conditioning. We used ours primarily in the spring and fall.
Summers were too hot and winters too cold.

I'd love to have one where I live now.

Also, *great for evacuating* mid summer heat.

Whole house fans Rock!

Yes. Even when it's hot/humid enough that I will be running the air
conditioning, when I come home on a hot day, I'll run the whole house fan to
blow out the buildup of heat in the attic, then close the windows and put on the
air conditioning.

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair

Also great for evacuating mid winter heat when you have the wood stove too
hot. Been there, done that many times.

"Oren" wrote in message

Also, *great for evacuating* mid summer heat.

Whole house fans Rock!

Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

Attics are generally vented enough to allow a 30" fan to operate.

"cshenk" wrote in message

"S. Barker" wrote in message
THAT's what we were discussing. A whole house fan. No one mentioned a
'whole house system'. Whatever that is.

Then S Barker, you are very wrong if you think other than a cieling fan
can be instalkled in an afternoon. The type under discussion requires
multiple vents and attic openings be added.

It's not a ceiling fan

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

cshenk wrote:
"S. Barker" wrote in message

THAT's what we were discussing. A whole house fan. No one mentioned a
'whole house system'. Whatever that is.

Then S Barker, you are very wrong if you think other than a cieling fan can
be instalkled in an afternoon. The type under discussion requires multiple
vents and attic openings be added.

Not if your attic is already adequately vented.

It's not a ceiling fan

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cshenk" wrote in message

"S. Barker" wrote in message
THAT's what we were discussing. A whole house fan. No one mentioned a
'whole house system'. Whatever that is.

Then S Barker, you are very wrong if you think other than a cieling fan
can be instalkled in an afternoon. The type under discussion requires
multiple vents and attic openings be added.

It's not a ceiling fan

I did mine in about two hours. Simple job, really, and the venting was
adequate.