Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sand in deck paint for non-skid surface?

On 6/22/2014 11:47 AM, bob haller wrote:
On Sunday, June 22, 2014 11:27:15 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wednesday, January 30, 2008 7:59:25 PM UTC-5, Simpson wrote:

I'm rebuilding a 13 step outdoor wooden staircase and entry porch on an

80 year old house. I bought some Benjamin Moore Deck and Patio paint for

the finish coat. It says on the can to use sand in the paint for a

non-skid finish. But it doesn't say anything about which grit of sand to

use and in which proportion. Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Thanks,

Jack

How do you clean the deck that has been painted with the non-skid paint? I tried using my swifter and it just rips the cloth.

garden hose......

Yes, spray it with a cleaner first. Brushing can help too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 31, 2008 at 1:59:25 AM UTC+1, Simpson wrote:
I'm rebuilding a 13 step outdoor wooden staircase and entry porch on an
80 year old house. I bought some Benjamin Moore Deck and Patio paint for
the finish coat. It says on the can to use sand in the paint for a
non-skid finish. But it doesn't say anything about which grit of sand to
use and in which proportion. Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Thanks,
Jack

Get a stick and stir the sand in the paint~ apply ~ done !
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, January 30, 2008 at 3:59:25 PM UTC-9, Simpson wrote:
I'm rebuilding a 13 step outdoor wooden staircase and entry porch on an
80 year old house. I bought some Benjamin Moore Deck and Patio paint for
the finish coat. It says on the can to use sand in the paint for a
non-skid finish. But it doesn't say anything about which grit of sand to
use and in which proportion. Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Thanks,
Jack

I know this is an old post but anyone try walnut shell as one person suggested? I have some for bullet case tumbling and it seems like it would work well, not too rough but super hard, I am sure it could come in different grits. Mine can't be used, it is polish impregnated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I know this is an old post but anyone try walnut shell as one person
suggested? I have some for bullet case tumbling and it seems like it would
work well, not too rough but super hard, I am sure it could come in
different grits. Mine can't be used, it is polish impregnated.

The sand for paint is fine, and even then it
makes snow shoveling difficult. If you don't
have snow you don't need it. If you do have
snow it's a hassle. I wouldn't use anything
except in special cases - like maybe an elderly
person at high risk.