Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gerard metal roof???

Had a guy come by and give me a quote for a fancy metal roof by Gerard.
I drove by 5 of the completed roof addresses he gave me and they do look great,
but they are very pricey. About twice my last roof.

He says lifetime warranty, parts & labor, not pro-rated or 50 years from date of
install if I sell they house. Save on replacement, insurance, energy, no fire,
pays for itself, blah, blah, blah.....

Is it for real and a good deal? I've never seen a metal roof except on
businesses.

Anyone have one that's a few years old? Look good?
Posted to alt.home.repair

PirateBird wrote:
Had a guy come by and give me a quote for a fancy metal roof by Gerard.
I drove by 5 of the completed roof addresses he gave me and they do look great,
but they are very pricey. About twice my last roof.

He says lifetime warranty, parts & labor, not pro-rated or 50 years from date of
install if I sell they house. Save on replacement, insurance, energy, no fire,
pays for itself, blah, blah, blah.....

Is it for real and a good deal? I've never seen a metal roof except on
businesses.

Anyone have one that's a few years old? Look good?

There is a house about three blocks down that has a metal roof.
Been there at least 30 years (was there in 1978 when I moved into
the neighborhood.) A blue color with what I think are "standing
seams". Still looks great. No idea if its the brand you have been
offered.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 21:57:04 -0500, Nate Nagel wrote:

wrote:
On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 18:49:31 -0600, PirateBird wrote:

Had a guy come by and give me a quote for a fancy metal roof by Gerard.
I drove by 5 of the completed roof addresses he gave me and they do look great,
but they are very pricey. About twice my last roof.

He says lifetime warranty, parts & labor, not pro-rated or 50 years from date of
install if I sell they house. Save on replacement, insurance, energy, no fire,
pays for itself, blah, blah, blah.....

Is it for real and a good deal? I've never seen a metal roof except on
businesses.

Anyone have one that's a few years old? Look good?

Very common in some parts of the country. Properly installed, they do last for a
very long time.

I'm not familiar with Gerard in particular, but I'm a big fan of metal
roofs. You will notice in areas like rural PA where high winds are
common roofs tend to be seamed steel more often than not. These are not
affluent areas but the homeowners there seem to have made the decision
that the cost/benefit analysis works out in favor of metal over asphalt
shingle.

nate

This isn't the seamed stuff....It's panels about 3 ft wide and 10" tall. They
kinda hook together or overlap. They lay some 1x4's on the old roof and build on
top of that. It's fireproof, but that isn't a big deal around my house.

Don't know about PA winters but it hets really nasty and cold here about 2
months after Christmas. Winds are a problem too!

Here's my real concern:
If they really have that good of warranty it's a great price (relatively) but I
wonder if it's real and if the 3" air space will save the 30 to 40% they claim.
After a hail strom peppered my siding, I found out what sort of warranty they
really have. Starts at 100% and goes down to 5% almost overnight.

A few years back when I was single, I bought a BMW. It's now approaching 250K
with less than $300 engine work in more than 10 years. If it lasts longer, it
may be worth it, but I'm a sleptic, tight-wad at first.

Thanks for the input
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve wrote:

SNIP HAPPENS

Check with your insurance company about coverage before you make up your
mind. I've Been Told® that here in Texas you're only covered for one hail
storm. Back in the Eighties, I got two new roofs in three years after
grapefruit-sized hail.

Humor mode on:

Presumably the ins cos which only cover 1 hail damaged roof give a huge
premium discount after 1 hail claim, as they hereafter are not insuing
against that particular risk / peril.

Yeah, right.

Humor mode off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Up here in northern Wisconsin these roofs are very common. I've been
thinking about going to one myself when the current roof needs
replaced. Here are the pros and cons that I've heard from others:

Pro:
Very easy to install. You should be able to really save on labor
because you can just roll the metal right over the shingles.
Good environmentally because you aren't producing and then pitching
shingles every 20 years or so. Also, you can recycle the metal if you
do have to remove it.
Looks nice, lasts a long time.
Snow slides right off of it, so no shoveling the roof (also a con
though, because you lose the insulative value of the snow).
Sound of the rain on the roof (this could be a con if you don't like
that.

Con:
If you have skylights or other protrusions (chimneys even), it is very
important to get the roof done right the first time around those
objest.
Much harder to do a patch job than it is with shingles.
Likewise, if you want to add skylights or something later, much harder
to do properly.
Cost--though I haven't heard of it being as expensive as what you were
quoted. Not familiar with that brand.

If I end up going with a metal roof, I will probably first do much
research on what type of metal to use. For example, I might build a
cistern at some point, and I've read that you don't want recycled
steel as the roof because of some contaminats that would get in the
water. I've also heard that some people used copper (those people
must have a lot more money than me) and then had their roof stolen by
salvagers when on vacation. (Probably just urban legend, but the
point is think about what kind of metal you are getting for you
money).

Good luck!

Hope some of this is helpful.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to PirateBird, Carol Marti wrote:
PBob wrote:

Had a guy come by and give me a quote for a fancy metal roof by Gerard.
I drove by 5 of the completed roof addresses he gave me and they do look

great,
but they are very pricey. About twice my last roof.
He says lifetime warranty, parts & labor, not pro-rated or 50 years from

date of
install if I sell they house. Save on replacement, insurance, energy, no

fire,
pays for itself, blah, blah, blah.....
Is it for real and a good deal? I've never seen a metal roof except on
businesses.
Anyone have one that's a few years old? Look good?

I can't say enough about this Gerard roof. We've lived here for 30 yrs;
the original owners for 5 yrs which, totalling, is the age of the house.
Very strong, beautiful roof. And rare!! A couple trees fell onto the house
during the ice storm & all was ok.

We added a veranda & a couple other things where they had to match up the
roofing & no problem, no old faded old ones, a perfect match. Must be
careful, though, (e.g. if you're having your chimney cleaned or whatever),
that the servicemen step in the valleys so as not to dent them. Just so
they all look uniform. We feel privileged to have such a roof!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

PBob wrote:

[...]

Hi,
Ditto here. I have it installed when neighbor had his done with concrete
tile. He had some problems and roofer was back few times.
My ceramic coated metal tile is looking good and no problem at all.
Cost almost 3 times than asphalt shingles. Installing is more labor
intensive. Took 2 weeks for experienced 2 man crew who came from Ukraine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to PirateBird, Dan Hurlburt wrote:
I had Gerard canyon shake installed. The installers used nails instead of the
screws I was told they would use. I'm afraid the nails will work themselves
loose and then leaks through the holes that remain.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...of-285060-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to PirateBird, older and wiser now wrote:
Our Gerard Steel Roof was totaled in a hailstorm earlier this year. We had it
inspected by a Gerard Certified Installer, and he told us that it was a total
loss and needs to be replaced. It had gone through two other major hailstorms
with only cosmetic damage since it was installed in 2003. However, this last
hailstorm destroyed it. */_Gerard did not honor the warranty that we were
given when the roof was installed._/* *They also did not respond to any of
our requests for an explanation.* I would never recommend this company to
anyone, and I would never use them again myself. Without the warranty, there
isn't really much of a reason to consider a steel roof.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...of-285060-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Here is a great source to read about metal rooves https://myrooff.com/metal-roofing-pros-and-cons/ , the most informative article about their pros and cons, benefits and time of service. Metal rooves can boast with durability, light weight and safety, they also keep warm inside the house rather effectively.They resist snow, water and winds better than other competitors.

Gerard Roof Charles Howey Home Repair 1 July 23rd 06 03:07 AM
flashing for a metal roof woodchip Home Repair 1 April 18th 06 03:10 AM
Metal Roof - How to? [email protected] Home Repair 7 February 12th 06 11:41 PM
Metal Re-Roof on "Hip" Ranch? [email protected] Home Repair 2 March 28th 05 05:14 PM
Metal Re-Roof on "Hip" Ranch? [email protected] Home Ownership 2 March 28th 05 05:14 PM