Posted to alt.home.repair
PirateBird PirateBird is offline

Default Gerard metal roof???

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 21:57:04 -0500, Nate Nagel wrote:

wrote:
On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 18:49:31 -0600, PirateBird wrote:

Had a guy come by and give me a quote for a fancy metal roof by Gerard.
I drove by 5 of the completed roof addresses he gave me and they do look great,
but they are very pricey. About twice my last roof.

He says lifetime warranty, parts & labor, not pro-rated or 50 years from date of
install if I sell they house. Save on replacement, insurance, energy, no fire,
pays for itself, blah, blah, blah.....

Is it for real and a good deal? I've never seen a metal roof except on
businesses.

Anyone have one that's a few years old? Look good?

Very common in some parts of the country. Properly installed, they do last for a
very long time.

I'm not familiar with Gerard in particular, but I'm a big fan of metal
roofs. You will notice in areas like rural PA where high winds are
common roofs tend to be seamed steel more often than not. These are not
affluent areas but the homeowners there seem to have made the decision
that the cost/benefit analysis works out in favor of metal over asphalt
shingle.

nate

This isn't the seamed stuff....It's panels about 3 ft wide and 10" tall. They
kinda hook together or overlap. They lay some 1x4's on the old roof and build on
top of that. It's fireproof, but that isn't a big deal around my house.

Don't know about PA winters but it hets really nasty and cold here about 2
months after Christmas. Winds are a problem too!

Here's my real concern:
If they really have that good of warranty it's a great price (relatively) but I
wonder if it's real and if the 3" air space will save the 30 to 40% they claim.
After a hail strom peppered my siding, I found out what sort of warranty they
really have. Starts at 100% and goes down to 5% almost overnight.

A few years back when I was single, I bought a BMW. It's now approaching 250K
with less than $300 engine work in more than 10 years. If it lasts longer, it
may be worth it, but I'm a sleptic, tight-wad at first.

Thanks for the input