Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Odor from hot water

We have a rental house that sat empty for several months. During that
time, I left the gas water heater on the "Vacation" setting, to keep the
pilot lit, and keep some warmth in the pipes during what passes for
"cold" weather in the NW. Now there is a strong sulphur odor from the
hot water. A renter has only just moved in, so I'm not sure yet if the
odor will go away with regular use. If not, should I drain the tank, or
are there other things I should try?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm new to gas (propane) water heaters. Do they have magnesium anodes?
If so, are they wired to anything, or passive?

Bubba wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 22:29:17 GMT, Briggs
wrote:

We have a rental house that sat empty for several months. During that
time, I left the gas water heater on the "Vacation" setting, to keep the
pilot lit, and keep some warmth in the pipes during what passes for
"cold" weather in the NW. Now there is a strong sulphur odor from the
hot water. A renter has only just moved in, so I'm not sure yet if the
odor will go away with regular use. If not, should I drain the tank, or
are there other things I should try?

If the source is your water heater:

* Remove or replace the magnesium anode.
* Disinfect and flush the water heater with a bleach solution.
* Increase the water temperature to 160 degrees Fahrenheit for
several hours to kill the bacteria, then flush the heater.
If you are not very familiar with water heater operation and
maintenance, contact a plumber or water heater dealer to perform the
service.

Bubba

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 28, 6:42�pm, Bubba wrote:
On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 05:32:13 GMT, Briggs
wrote:

I'm new to gas (propane) water heaters. �Do they have magnesium anodes?
�If so, are they wired to anything, or passive?

Dont know. Most likely just an inexpensive anode. They are not wired
to anything. Just screwed into the top of the unit.
Bubba

wrote:

[...]

Bubba- Hide quoted text -

try flushing, or cleansing with bleach.

the nice lukewarm temperature likely grew some goo.

may also be a failing anode rod
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 27, 4:29*pm, Briggs wrote:
We have a rental house that sat empty for several months. *During that
time, I left the gas water heater on the "Vacation" setting, to keep the
* pilot lit, and keep some warmth in the pipes during what passes for
"cold" weather in the NW. *Now there is a strong sulphur odor from the
hot water. *A renter has only just moved in, so I'm not sure yet if the
odor will go away with regular use. *If not, should I drain the tank, or
are there other things I should try?

If something started growing in the tank from a cool, warm temp,
getting the tank hot for a few days should kill anything, maybe 130f
-140f, turn it on high.
Posted to alt.home.repair

According to ransley :
On Jan 27, 4:29*pm, Briggs wrote:
We have a rental house that sat empty for several months. *During that
time, I left the gas water heater on the "Vacation" setting, to keep the
* pilot lit, and keep some warmth in the pipes during what passes for
"cold" weather in the NW. *Now there is a strong sulphur odor from the
hot water. *A renter has only just moved in, so I'm not sure yet if the
odor will go away with regular use. *If not, should I drain the tank, or
are there other things I should try?

If something started growing in the tank from a cool, warm temp,
getting the tank hot for a few days should kill anything, maybe 130f
-140f, turn it on high.

Greater than 140F is required to kill everything. Remember to
set it back below 140F after a few hours or a day or two. Then it's
best to get the killed goo out - there could be quite a bit.
Flushing a largish HWT will take quite a long time, so if it's
possible, drain and refill it once or twice before letting it
run for a while to flush. Draining it will also get sediment
out.

Bleach also works if you have a way to inject it. A cup is more
than enough for a HWT, let it soak for 24 hours before flushing
thoroughly.
--
Chris Lewis,

Cold water odor Kate Home Repair 6 April 9th 07 04:01 AM
Water with NO odor has an odor AFTER osmosis filtering... [email protected] Home Repair 4 October 19th 06 01:19 AM
Kitchenaid Refrigerator Water odor [email protected] Home Repair 5 March 13th 06 09:18 PM
New Carpet Causes Water Odor [email protected] Home Repair 9 September 5th 05 03:20 PM
Strange odor when 1st turning on water jwv Home Repair 3 July 13th 05 11:59 PM