Posted to alt.home.repair
Briggs Briggs is offline

Default Odor from hot water

I'm new to gas (propane) water heaters. Do they have magnesium anodes?
If so, are they wired to anything, or passive?

Bubba wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 22:29:17 GMT, Briggs
wrote:

We have a rental house that sat empty for several months. During that
time, I left the gas water heater on the "Vacation" setting, to keep the
pilot lit, and keep some warmth in the pipes during what passes for
"cold" weather in the NW. Now there is a strong sulphur odor from the
hot water. A renter has only just moved in, so I'm not sure yet if the
odor will go away with regular use. If not, should I drain the tank, or
are there other things I should try?

If the source is your water heater:

* Remove or replace the magnesium anode.
* Disinfect and flush the water heater with a bleach solution.
* Increase the water temperature to 160 degrees Fahrenheit for
several hours to kill the bacteria, then flush the heater.
If you are not very familiar with water heater operation and
maintenance, contact a plumber or water heater dealer to perform the
service.

Bubba