Posted to alt.home.repair

Default electrical question - heaters won't turn off

I have 2 heaters (baseboard type) in my basement. They seem to have a
mind of their own, and turn themselves on even when the switch (or
thermostat) is set to "off" or "zero".

I had a thermostat replaced by an electrician and he said the baseboard
heater was indeed working. Confused, it seemed to be ok for a while, but
then they magically turn themselves on and money is going out the window.

I removed a single 'breaker' from the breaker-panel that controls the
heaters in the basement. I dunno if this is safe thing to do, but it
turns off the baseboards and fixes the problem (temporarily).

What could be going on here?

Thanks in advance,
GKD
Posted to alt.home.repair

First of all, if the heat is going out the window, close the window. Second,
many electric heat thermostats don't have an "off" position, so they'll
maintain temperatures from about 50 degrees and above. The only way to kill
them is by circuit breaker, or have the electrician find a thermostat with a
positive off

"Coffee in Madrid" wrote in message
]...
I have 2 heaters (baseboard type) in my basement. They seem to have a
mind of their own, and turn themselves on even when the switch (or
thermostat) is set to "off" or "zero".

I had a thermostat replaced by an electrician and he said the baseboard
heater was indeed working. Confused, it seemed to be ok for a while, but
then they magically turn themselves on and money is going out the window.

I removed a single 'breaker' from the breaker-panel that controls the
heaters in the basement. I dunno if this is safe thing to do, but it
turns off the baseboards and fixes the problem (temporarily).

What could be going on here?

Thanks in advance,
GKD

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 27, 10:59*am, Coffee in Madrid wrote:
I have 2 heaters (baseboard type) in my basement. They seem to have a
mind of their own, and turn themselves on even when the switch (or
thermostat) is set to "off" or "zero".

I had a thermostat replaced by an electrician and he said the baseboard
heater was indeed working. Confused, it seemed to be ok for a while, but
then they magically turn themselves on and money is going out the window.

I removed a single 'breaker' from the breaker-panel that controls the
heaters in the basement. I dunno if this is safe thing to do, but it
turns off the baseboards and fixes the problem (temporarily).

What could be going on here?

Thanks in advance,
GKD

Sounds like you have line voltage thermostat(s). Are they (it)
correctly sized for the heater? Contacts could arc/stick or sag if not
and cause those kinds of problems. One fix might be to use an
auxiliary relay to do the switching with a switch to its coil to shut
the heater off when you need to. HTh

Joe