Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default ideas on making a flexible sound proof cover for sump pit

My sump pump stick about 3 inches over my sump pit. I would like to
cover it with some heavy material so it muffles the sound and provides
somewhat of a seal. The only thing I can think of is to cut up a piece
of tarp and glue some of that egg shell foam sound proofing material
on top. It doesn't need to be pretty. Any other ideas that might be
more effective?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 24, 10:32*am, Joe wrote:
My sump pump stick about 3 inches over my sump pit. I would like to
cover it with some heavy material so it muffles the sound and provides
somewhat of a seal. The only thing I can think of is to cut up a piece
of tarp and glue some of that egg shell foam sound proofing material
on top. It doesn't need to be pretty. Any other ideas that might be
more effective?

Is it a pedistal pump, submerged are alot quieter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 24, 10:32*am, Joe wrote:
My sump pump stick about 3 inches over my sump pit. I would like to
cover it with some heavy material so it muffles the sound and provides
somewhat of a seal. The only thing I can think of is to cut up a piece
of tarp and glue some of that egg shell foam sound proofing material
on top. It doesn't need to be pretty. Any other ideas that might be
more effective?

I would use 2 inch rigid fiberglass panels 6lb/cu ft (Manville) to
construct a 5 sided box, then put that whole box over the top. The
Manville heavy fiberglass panels stop sound dead in its tracks, I've
used it to construct sound studios, isolation booths, and micing boxes
for guitar amps etc. Its easy to cut out the pipe holes and ou can
use duct tape to make the sides hingeable for removal, fireproof. Its
this stuff, available at a professional lumber yard that supplies to
commercial builders.

Any of the products listed as "Boards:" on this page:

http://www.fabricationspecialties.com/fg.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 24, 4:20*pm, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:
"Bennett Price" ""bjpriceNOSPAM\"@NOSPAMcal berkeley.edu" wrote in y.net...

How about just draping some fiberglass batts over it, the type used
for insulating walls and ceilings.

* * They don't really absorb much sound, but you can buy some bats that do a
little better.

*http://www.soundproofing.org/

*In general you want to block air exchange. *Air caries sound very well.
(Try opening your car's window as a train is going by.)

* * Next you want weight. *Heavy things (drywall lead sheets etc.) block
sound well.

* * You also want to prevent any direct solid connections. *Stagger wall
studs or use special isolation devices to keep the sound from traveling
through the wall (remember the two cans on a string (well wire actuarially
worked) you want to break the wire).

* * Filling in wall cavities with sound absorbing materials (acoustical
fiberglass bats) will do a little.

* * Point source control (special absorption material) at the source of the
sound will also help.

--
Joseph Meehan

*Dia 's Muire duit

Thats right about mass still being the best to actually stop sound. I
suggested the 6lb/cu ft fiberglass because I couldn't figure out how
to surround the pump head with mass, unless of course you build a
closet around it all. The OP should be aware that the 6lb rigid
fiberglass is not your ordinary fiberglass, its pretty dense and can
be used much like plywood. In fact he may want to just build a
plywood box then line it with the fiberglass, and put a foam
weatherstrip gasket on the bottom edge where it meets the floor. I'm
big on noise elimination in my home too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 24, 2008 at 10:32:05 AM UTC-6, Joe wrote:
My sump pump stick about 3 inches over my sump pit. I would like to
cover it with some heavy material so it muffles the sound and provides
somewhat of a seal. The only thing I can think of is to cut up a piece
of tarp and glue some of that egg shell foam sound proofing material
on top. It doesn't need to be pretty. Any other ideas that might be
more effective?

Maybe you can build a wood box and line in with Stone Wool insulation and then place the box over the sump pit?? That's my idea.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, July 17, 2016 at 10:09:32 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thursday, January 24, 2008 at 10:32:05 AM UTC-6, Joe wrote:
My sump pump stick about 3 inches over my sump pit. I would like to
cover it with some heavy material so it muffles the sound and provides
somewhat of a seal. The only thing I can think of is to cut up a piece
of tarp and glue some of that egg shell foam sound proofing material
on top. It doesn't need to be pretty. Any other ideas that might be
more effective?

Maybe you can build a wood box and line in with Stone Wool insulation and then place the box over the sump pit?? That's my idea.

Unfortunately, 8 years ago, Joe fell into his sump pump pit and drowned. It was a week before he was found and the rats ate his face off. It was a real tragedy. 8-(

[8~{} Uncle Sad Monster

making my own sump pit cover Joe Home Repair 2 September 2nd 07 01:41 AM
Any reason I shouldn't cover over my sump pump? Toller Home Repair 9 November 8th 06 01:03 AM
Massive cover-up! Here's the proof! Ian Stirling UK diy 2 May 13th 06 11:28 AM
flexible sump pump hose cj Home Repair 2 April 8th 06 10:30 PM
Sound proof existing wall? Stoney Home Repair 4 July 5th 03 01:54 PM