Posted to alt.home.repair

Default heating up so slow

I have a 2,000 sqft house. I suspect the heating system (Trane) is
not working properly because it takes one hour to raise the
temperature four degrees.

The service man from the company which installed the unit last
summer told me the system works fine. He said the supply air is
105 degree and return air is 71 degree and usually he only gets
101 degree for supply air.

I don't have much experience with gas heat and wonder if a supply
air of 105 degree is normal. Any thoughts?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 23, 6:38*pm, John Smith wrote:
I have a 2,000 sqft house. I suspect the heating system (Trane) is
not working properly because it takes one hour to raise the
temperature four degrees.

The service man from the company which installed the unit last
summer told me the system works fine. He said the supply air is
105 degree and return air is 71 degree and usually he only gets
101 degree for supply air.

I don't have much experience with gas heat and wonder if a supply
air of 105 degree is normal. Any thoughts?

From what temp are you reheating, it sounds like you are one of the
few with a properly sized furnace. Heating units should be sized to
run near consistantly at the years coldest temp. Are you there yet?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 23, 7:36*pm, ransley wrote:
On Jan 23, 6:38*pm, John Smith wrote:

I have a 2,000 sqft house. I suspect the heating system (Trane) is
not working properly because it takes one hour to raise the
temperature four degrees.

The service man from the company which installed the unit last
summer told me the system works fine. He said the supply air is
105 degree and return air is 71 degree and usually he only gets
101 degree for supply air.

I don't have much experience with gas heat and wonder if a supply
air of 105 degree is normal. Any thoughts?

From what temp are you reheating, it sounds like you are one of the
few with a properly sized *furnace. *Heating units should be sized to
run near consistantly at the years coldest temp. Are you there yet?

What did you expect an 8f hr. degree rise. Mine is near 2 hrf on total
heat, you are kidding yourself and us here. Go to sleeep.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 23, 4:38 pm, John Smith wrote:
I have a 2,000 sqft house. I suspect the heating system (Trane) is
not working properly because it takes one hour to raise the
temperature four degrees.

The service man from the company which installed the unit last
summer told me the system works fine. He said the supply air is
105 degree and return air is 71 degree and usually he only gets
101 degree for supply air.

I don't have much experience with gas heat and wonder if a supply
air of 105 degree is normal. Any thoughts?

John-

Sounds about right...as everyone has posted.

You want a system that can just barely keep up on the coldest day in
its design life.

I've done some heating experiments in a couple homes and 4 degrees per
hour is about in the middle of the performance I've measured.

When I allow my house to "soak" for a weekend away & the outside temp
is in the low 50's, high 40's the house settles near 50..... brrrrr!

My home heats at about 6 deg per hour...... approx 1 deg rise in 10
minutes. I have run this experiment a couple times.

During "normal" duty it runs about 10 minutes on, 20 minutes off.

When its really cold outside (well, cold for SoCal, low 30's). The
gas furnace runs nearly constantly to keep the house at 62 over night)

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 07:08:02 -0500, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

It sounds normal to me. The ideal system is the one that will take a long
time to increase the temperature. Oversize units will heat fast, but they
also will be less able to maintain any specific temperature and will be less
efficient. It sounds like yours is good.

"John Smith" wrote in message
I have a 2,000 sqft house. I suspect the heating system (Trane) is
not working properly because it takes one hour to raise the
temperature four degrees.

The service man from the company which installed the unit last
summer told me the system works fine. He said the supply air is
105 degree and return air is 71 degree and usually he only gets
101 degree for supply air.

I don't have much experience with gas heat and wonder if a supply
air of 105 degree is normal. Any thoughts?

As usual mr. Meehan is wrong. If I had a model number I could tell you
what the temp rise should be but the usual temp rise is about 70
degrees which yours is nowhere near if your readings are correct.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 25, 7:15 pm, Red Green wrote:
BobK207 wrote in news:a56a44ef-7e6f-4a42-babd-
:

On Jan 23, 4:38 pm, John Smith wrote:
I have a 2,000 sqft house. I suspect the heating system (Trane) is
not working properly because it takes one hour to raise the
temperature four degrees.

The service man from the company which installed the unit last
summer told me the system works fine. He said the supply air is
105 degree and return air is 71 degree and usually he only gets
101 degree for supply air.

I don't have much experience with gas heat and wonder if a supply
air of 105 degree is normal. Any thoughts?

John-

Sounds about right...as everyone has posted.

You want a system that can just barely keep up on the coldest day in
its design life.

Sounds about right...for AC on the warmest day.

I've done some heating experiments in a couple homes and 4 degrees per
hour is about in the middle of the performance I've measured.

When I allow my house to "soak" for a weekend away & the outside temp
is in the low 50's, high 40's the house settles near 50..... brrrrr!

My home heats at about 6 deg per hour...... approx 1 deg rise in 10
minutes. I have run this experiment a couple times.

During "normal" duty it runs about 10 minutes on, 20 minutes off.

When its really cold outside (well, cold for SoCal, low 30's). The
gas furnace runs nearly constantly to keep the house at 62 over night)

cheers
Bob

Red-

How about a real answer?

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 24, 7:22 pm, Bubba wrote:
On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 08:54:28 -0800 (PST), BobK207
wrote:

On Jan 23, 4:38 pm, John Smith wrote:
I have a 2,000 sqft house. I suspect the heating system (Trane) is
not working properly because it takes one hour to raise the
temperature four degrees.

The service man from the company which installed the unit last
summer told me the system works fine. He said the supply air is
105 degree and return air is 71 degree and usually he only gets
101 degree for supply air.

I don't have much experience with gas heat and wonder if a supply
air of 105 degree is normal. Any thoughts?

John-

Sounds about right...as everyone has posted.

Bzzzztttt! Wrong answer Bob. Try again.
Bubba

You want a system that can just barely keep up on the coldest day in
its design life.

I've done some heating experiments in a couple homes and 4 degrees per
hour is about in the middle of the performance I've measured.

When I allow my house to "soak" for a weekend away & the outside temp
is in the low 50's, high 40's the house settles near 50..... brrrrr!

My home heats at about 6 deg per hour...... approx 1 deg rise in 10
minutes. I have run this experiment a couple times.

During "normal" duty it runs about 10 minutes on, 20 minutes off.

When its really cold outside (well, cold for SoCal, low 30's). The
gas furnace runs nearly constantly to keep the house at 62 over night)

cheers
Bob

Bubba-

While the temperature rise across the furnace is important and too
little can indicative of an under performing system, does that really
tell the whole story?

I know you HVAC guys think you have a monopoly on all knowledge HVAC
but maybe a you should consider a little thermo / heat
transfer.....you know, think outside of your box.

Could it be possible that a furnace with too little temperature rise
can still heat the house adequately?

Or could a furnace with "correct" temp rise be incapable of heating
the house adequately?

hmmm?

Maybe the temperature rise (per time unit) of the house is important
too?
Kind of an overall performance measure?

hmmm?

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for your responses. My furnace is Trane xv80. I did an Internet
search and found the temperature rise to be 30 - 60 degrees. Mine is 34
degrees. It is within the spec, albeit at the low end. Should I worry
about it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Smith" wrote in message
Thanks for your responses. My furnace is Trane xv80. I did an Internet
search and found the temperature rise to be 30 - 60 degrees. Mine is 34
degrees. It is within the spec, albeit at the low end. Should I worry
about it?

Only if you like to worry. Is the house warm enough?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 08:14:40 -0500, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"John Smith" wrote in message
Thanks for your responses. My furnace is Trane xv80. I did an Internet
search and found the temperature rise to be 30 - 60 degrees. Mine is 34
degrees. It is within the spec, albeit at the low end. Should I worry
about it?

These are 2 stage furnaces. is the second stage working?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
[...]

In addition to knowing the air temperature out of the furnace you need
to know how much air is flowing. It doesn't matter what the air
temperature is if there isn't enough mass flowing; the heating will be
insufficient. Also, since the measurements you have were obtained during
the summer, you may have heat loss due to poor duct placement and/or
lack of insulation. Measure the air temperature into the living space
at several locations and coming from the furnace (at the furnace) to
assess this.

Boden
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 27, 2:25 am, Boden wrote:
Red Green wrote:
[...]

yup, now we're talking a little more science.......... not just
mindless tech manual following.

knowing the gas consumption is helpful

cheers
Bob