Posted to alt.home.repair

Default PEX tools

I'm considering buying crimping tool(s) for pex in 1/2 and 3/4". BUT it
seems there's about a million and five different ones on the internet and
ebay. Could someone experienced in PEX plumbing recommend a crimper or
crimpers for a homeowner with occasional use?

thanks

steve barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 17:29:49 -0600, "S. Barker"
wrote:

I'm considering buying crimping tool(s) for pex in 1/2 and 3/4". BUT it
seems there's about a million and five different ones on the internet and
ebay. Could someone experienced in PEX plumbing recommend a crimper or
crimpers for a homeowner with occasional use?

thanks

steve barker

CrimpMaker No. HCM3 1/2"

CrimpMaker No. HCM2 3/8"

Find a combo crimper for both; a 1/2" - 3/4".

Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair
a a is offline

S. Barker wrote:
I'm considering buying crimping tool(s) for pex in 1/2 and 3/4". BUT it
seems there's about a million and five different ones on the internet and
ebay. Could someone experienced in PEX plumbing recommend a crimper or
crimpers for a homeowner with occasional use?

thanks

steve barker

For a homeowner:
http://www.pexcrimper.com/

Cheap and it works - makes as solid a crimp as the $200 'pro' crimpers, and
can fit into much tighter areas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"a" wrote in message newsBRlj.14049$vp3.6308@edtnps90...
S. Barker wrote:
I'm considering buying crimping tool(s) for pex in 1/2 and 3/4". BUT it
seems there's about a million and five different ones on the internet and
ebay. Could someone experienced in PEX plumbing recommend a crimper or
crimpers for a homeowner with occasional use?

thanks

steve barker

For a homeowner:
http://www.pexcrimper.com/

Cheap and it works - makes as solid a crimp as the $200 'pro' crimpers,
and can fit into much tighter areas.

I don't know squat about the tools mentioned but a's comment about tight
spaces is spot on. My buddy came to my double-wide cabin to help with
my PEX and I noted that one handle of his crimper appeared to have
broken off. "Nope", he says. 'I cut it off so that I could get into
tighter
quarters".

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm considering buying crimping tool(s) for pex in 1/2 and 3/4". BUT
it seems there's about a million and five different ones on the internet
and ebay. Could someone experienced in PEX plumbing recommend a crimper
or crimpers for a homeowner with occasional use?

Cheap and it works - makes as solid a crimp as the $200 'pro' crimpers,
and can fit into much tighter areas.

I don't know squat about the tools mentioned but a's comment about tight
spaces is spot on. My buddy came to my double-wide cabin to help with
my PEX and I noted that one handle of his crimper appeared to have
broken off. "Nope", he says. 'I cut it off so that I could get into
tighter quarters".

I know what you mean. The 1" PEX crimpers we have at work have very long
handles. What we did was cut off one side and drilled it out. Then studded
the other side. Now, you can unthread one side and then put it back when
you done using it in a confined area.

One day though I am going to buy the guys new crimpers as they make some
smaller ones now.

Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the reply. After researching, i've decided to stick to cpvc.
Hell, the pex tubing is no cheaper, and it seems to me quite the hassle to
do all that crimping, and what not in tight places. Not to mention, you
have to change to copper in the stress zones.

"sylvan butler" wrote in message
rnal...

Qest (aka Zurn) now has their stainless steel ring system out. It uses
one tool for all fittings 1" and smaller. It uses the same fittings as
the really cheap copper rings. Tool is under $100 at home depot and
lowes and professional jobbers in my area. Rings are also available all
those places. They are more expensive than the cheap copper rings, and
a bit more than the generic "stainless steel rings" (oetiker pattern)
but wide availability makes them ideal for the homeowner, IMHO. If like
me, you end up needing another part after 8pm on saturday night, and
being able to get it at the big box is very handy.

Rings are like this:
http://www.amazon.com/ZURN-QEST-QCLP.../dp/B000YAFLMS
(Can pick up bags of 10 or so at the home centers.)

In other words, buy the tool, a few rings in the sizes you need,
probably under $100. Add appropriate fittings and pipe.

sdb
--
What's seen on your screen? http://PcScreenWatch.com
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com