Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I've installed a garbage disposal... now a plumbing question

So I installed a disposal unit, where there wasn't one previously. and
when the sink fills up with a little bit of water (from items being
placed in the unit) and i turn it on, some of the waste gets pushed up
and out the opposite sink drain hole... covering the newly washed and
drying dishes. I can prevent this from happening by putting the plug
in the other side... is this common though? is my plumbing wrong? it
looks like this (it's a double sink, obviously)

the rest of the waste goes down normally, it just is looking for the
easiest way out...I hope my lay out looks correct.

Wash sink Dry sink
_____________|_______________
GD ||
|| ||
======T=======
Wste===== ||
|| ||
= PTRAP
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 10:18:07 -0800 (PST), RedDwarf
wrote:

[...]

Check the instructions carefully. It may mention having to remove a
plastic plug in the disposal. Is there an air gap mounted on the sink?

Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

Every disposer I've seen is hooked up just as he describes, with a straight
pipe from the disposer to the downpipe of the 2nd sink, THEN a p-trap.
I assume his T fitting is in the pipe right below the dry sink's outlet.

To the original poster: Start your water running FIRST, then turn on the
disposer, THEN start adding material....I think that will solve most of your
problem.

His hook up looks right

"RedDwarf" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
So I installed a disposal unit, where there wasn't one previously. and
when the sink fills up with a little bit of water (from items being
placed in the unit) and i turn it on, some of the waste gets pushed up
and out the opposite sink drain hole... covering the newly washed and
drying dishes. I can prevent this from happening by putting the plug
in the other side... is this common though? is my plumbing wrong? it
looks like this (it's a double sink, obviously)

the rest of the waste goes down normally, it just is looking for the
easiest way out...I hope my lay out looks correct.

Wash sink * * * * * * * * *Dry sink
_____________|_______________
* * * *GD * * * * * * * * * * * *||
* * * * || * * * * * * * * * * * * *||
* * * * *======T=======
* * * * * * * * * * *||
* * * * * * * * * * *||
Wste===== * * ||
* * * * * * * *|| * * ||
* * * * * * * * = PTRAP

Check the instructions carefully. It may mention having to remove a
plastic plug in the disposal. Is there an air gap mounted on the sink?

Oren

Air Gap mounted on the sink? I don't know what that is... so i'm going
to assume no.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RedDwarf" wrote in message
[...]

* * * * * * * * = PTRAP- Hide quoted text -

Yea, I thnk what i'm going to do is just alter my method of using the
disposal... and not let the water really collect in there. I could add
a second P-Trap... but it's really not worth it. I appreciate
everyone's input...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

to assume no.- Hide quoted text -

This picture shows a configuration that might work, along with the air-
gap from the dishwasher.

http://www.pshomehelp.com/pics/sink_dw.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

It would like this pic: then obvious.
http://www.terrylove.com/images/sink_dw.jpg

Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair

curmudgeon wrote:
Every disposer I've seen is hooked up just as he describes, with a straight
pipe from the disposer to the downpipe of the 2nd sink, THEN a p-trap.
I assume his T fitting is in the pipe right below the dry sink's outlet.

To the original poster: Start your water running FIRST, then turn on the
disposer, THEN start adding material....I think that will solve most of your
problem.

Only if the disposer ISN'T the kind which will only run when the sink
drain hole "cap" is inserted and rotated. :-)

I encountered one of those kinds of disposers while we wewe visiting a
friend who was house sitting for another friend.

The disposal in that house was the kind I mentioned above, but it also
had a wall switch controlling the power to it. My friend had been using
it for a couple of days with the "cap" not in place and turning it on
and off with the wall switch.

When our friend was cleaning up after dinner she said "The disposer's
not working!"

I started looking for a reason. I hit the reset button on the bottom of
the unit, searched out the breaker panel and tried flipping the breaker
and even found the hex wrench in a kitchen drawer and found that the
motor wasn't jammed. I used a table lamp plugged into the undersink
outlet the disposer plugged into to prove power was getting that far.

Then, I happened to look at the "cap" and right on its T-handle there
were instructions to lift and turn the handle to run the disposer. I did
that and "Bob's your uncle".

Apparantly the switch operated by that cap's handle had gotten stuck in
it's closed position allowing the motor to run any time there was power
getting to it through the wall switch. That lead our friend to believe
that the disposer didn't need the cap in place to work. Then that switch
"unstuck" and made her think she'd broken the disposer.

Live and learn....

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

His hook up looks right

"RedDwarf" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

RedDwarf wrote:
On Jan 23, 1:54 pm, "curmudgeon" wrote:

Every disposer I've seen is hooked up just as he describes, with a straight
pipe from the disposer to the downpipe of the 2nd sink, THEN a p-trap.
I assume his T fitting is in the pipe right below the dry sink's outlet.

To the original poster: Start your water running FIRST, then turn on the
disposer, THEN start adding material....I think that will solve most of your
problem.

om...

"RedDwarf" wrote in message

[...]

Mr. Dwarf,

The tee that ties into the tailpiece from your 2nd sink (the one without
the disposal) should have a turn down baffle to direct the water
downwards into the drain. If it does not have this, it could be your
problem.

Look at this diagram and then scroll down for a cutaway of the proper
type of tee.

http://www.nettally.com/palmk/GDplumbing.html

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RedDwarf" wrote in message

So I installed a disposal unit, where there wasn't one previously. and
when the sink fills up with a little bit of water (from items being
placed in the unit) and i turn it on, some of the waste gets pushed up
and out the opposite sink drain hole... covering the newly washed and
drying dishes. I can prevent this from happening by putting the plug
in the other side... is this common though? is my plumbing wrong? it
looks like this (it's a double sink, obviously)

the rest of the waste goes down normally, it just is looking for the
easiest way out...I hope my lay out looks correct.

Wash sink * * * * * * * * *Dry sink
_____________|_______________
* * * GD * * * * * * * * * * * *||
* * * *|| * * * * * * * * * * * * *||
* * * * ======T=======
* * * * * * * * * * ||
* * * * * * * * * * ||
Wste===== * * ||
* * * * * * * || * * ||
* * * * * * * *= PTRAP- Hide quoted text -

Yea, I thnk what i'm going to do is just alter my method of using the
disposal... and not let the water really collect in there. I could add
a second P-Trap... but it's really not worth it. I appreciate
everyone's input...

Mr. Dwarf,

The tee that ties into the tailpiece from your 2nd sink (the one without
the disposal) should have a turn down baffle to direct the water
downwards into the drain. *If it does not have this, it could be your
problem.

Look at this diagram and then scroll down for a cutaway of the proper
type of tee.

http://www.nettally.com/palmk/GDplumbing.html

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Georgetown, TX- Hide quoted text -

I think this is a great idea... i'm going to look for a new T. Thanks
a lot!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RedDwarf" wrote in message

[...]

Mr. Allison,

I scrolled down to the picture of the T and also read the text. The
author feels that the T with the baffle, in his own word "sucks" due
to the constriction caused by the baffle. I then scrolled all the way
down and found that the author prefers using one P-trap for each sink,
both which are then tied into a wye, which will not present any
restrictions to the waste water.

Just thought I pass that along.
Posted to alt.home.repair

news:VdmdnX29VPUcFQranZ2dnUVZ_rqlnZ2d@giganews .com...

"RedDwarf" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, I know. You notice that it begins with: If you have a sink
installed by a professional, then it probably looks like this...

Most GDs are installed that way and most work. If it doesn't, then it
may be necessary to do it the way described on the site. Mine has had
the baffle for 25 years and works fine. The dozens that I have
installed all have the baffle and work fine. I have yet to see an
application where it doesn't.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.