Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default I've installed a garbage disposal... now a plumbing question

On Jan 23, 5:29*pm, Robert Allison wrote:
RedDwarf wrote:
On Jan 23, 1:54 pm, "curmudgeon" wrote:

Every disposer I've seen is hooked up just as he describes, with a straight
pipe from the disposer to the downpipe of the 2nd sink, THEN a p-trap.
I assume his T fitting is in the pipe right below the dry sink's outlet.

To the original poster: *Start your water running FIRST, then turn on the
disposer, THEN start adding material....I think that will solve most of your
problem.

His hook up looks right"S. Barker" wrote in message

om...

you should have seperate p traps for each sink dumping into your vertical
line.

"RedDwarf" wrote in message

So I installed a disposal unit, where there wasn't one previously. and
when the sink fills up with a little bit of water (from items being
placed in the unit) and i turn it on, some of the waste gets pushed up
and out the opposite sink drain hole... covering the newly washed and
drying dishes. I can prevent this from happening by putting the plug
in the other side... is this common though? is my plumbing wrong? it
looks like this (it's a double sink, obviously)

the rest of the waste goes down normally, it just is looking for the
easiest way out...I hope my lay out looks correct.

Wash sink * * * * * * * * *Dry sink
_____________|_______________
* * * GD * * * * * * * * * * * *||
* * * *|| * * * * * * * * * * * * *||
* * * * ======T=======
* * * * * * * * * * ||
* * * * * * * * * * ||
Wste===== * * ||
* * * * * * * || * * ||
* * * * * * * *= PTRAP- Hide quoted text -

Yea, I thnk what i'm going to do is just alter my method of using the
disposal... and not let the water really collect in there. I could add
a second P-Trap... but it's really not worth it. I appreciate
everyone's input...

Mr. Dwarf,

The tee that ties into the tailpiece from your 2nd sink (the one without
the disposal) should have a turn down baffle to direct the water
downwards into the drain. *If it does not have this, it could be your
problem.

Look at this diagram and then scroll down for a cutaway of the proper
type of tee.

http://www.nettally.com/palmk/GDplumbing.html

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Mr. Allison,

I scrolled down to the picture of the T and also read the text. The
author feels that the T with the baffle, in his own word "sucks" due
to the constriction caused by the baffle. I then scrolled all the way
down and found that the author prefers using one P-trap for each sink,
both which are then tied into a wye, which will not present any
restrictions to the waste water.

Just thought I pass that along.