Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Guys, quick, is this a load bearing wall?

To me it looks like it can't be a load bearing wall with an alcove
directly above it. I want to put in a pocket door that will slide
almost all the way to the black vent pipe. The header is what I'm
trying to find out about.

http://usera.imagecave.com/ronnald/wall.jpg

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I'm assuming it's a load bearing wall. In which I'll have to use a 30"
pocket door now, wanted 32 though..

What size header do I use?

Here is my new sketch
http://usera.imagecave.com/ronnald/wall1.jpg

If this turns out impossible, I'll put in a swing door, although I'd
rather go with pocket.

What's on the other side of the wall you tore open? You could leave the
current framing alone and steal some space from that room for the pocket
door.
Posted to alt.home.repair

According to Mike Paulsen :
wrote:
I'm assuming it's a load bearing wall. In which I'll have to use a 30"
pocket door now, wanted 32 though..

What size header do I use?

Here is my new sketch
http://usera.imagecave.com/ronnald/wall1.jpg

If this turns out impossible, I'll put in a swing door, although I'd
rather go with pocket.

What's on the other side of the wall you tore open? You could leave the
current framing alone and steal some space from that room for the pocket
door.

This also guarantees that the pocket door frame won't bow inwards.

[He says after installing a pocket door (3.5" framing) that has
about a 1/4" inward bow on one side, that I'm trying to figure out
how to correct. Perhaps I should have aimed for 5.5" framing...]
--
Chris Lewis,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 22, 1:08*pm, wrote:
On Jan 22, 11:07*am, wrote:

I'm assuming it's a load bearing wall. In which I'll have to use a 30"
pocket door now, wanted 32 though..

What size header do I use?

Here is my new sketchhttp://usera.imagecave.com/ronnald/wall1.jpg

If this turns out impossible, I'll put in a swing door, although I'd
rather go with pocket.

Green = header, yellow is jack stud and red is king studs.

Have you ever done this, just cutting out everthing to get a header in
place is risky, you should have support jacks in place, but where.
Once a guy hired me to remove an attic wall, I told him to get an
architect or engineer, he did, I removed the wall, in 30 minutes down
came the ceiling and beams, he paid me alot extra to fix it all. What
is below the 4x4, a basement, if you move the support over what holds
it up from below, it needs a support too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 22, 2:09*pm, ransley wrote:
On Jan 22, 1:08*pm, wrote:

On Jan 22, 11:07*am, wrote:

I'm assuming it's a load bearing wall. In which I'll have to use a 30"
pocket door now, wanted 32 though..

What size header do I use?

Here is my new sketchhttp://usera.imagecave.com/ronnald/wall1.jpg

If this turns out impossible, I'll put in a swing door, although I'd
rather go with pocket.

Green = header, yellow is jack stud and red is king studs.

Have you ever done this, just cutting out everthing to get a header in
place is risky, you should have support jacks in place, but where.
Once a guy hired me to remove an attic wall, I told him to get an
architect or engineer, he did, I removed the wall, in 30 minutes down
came the ceiling and beams, he paid me alot extra to fix it all. What
is below the 4x4, a basement, if you move the support over what holds
it up from below, it needs a support too.

Yup, done it before. This time it's too questionable, so I'm going
with a swing door. I agree, that it's too much at stake just for a
pocket door.

Sorry I couldn't get back earlier. I've reconsidered and will be
installing a 32" prehung door.

I appreciate everyones help with this. Even after much observation in
the attic, it's was questionable if it was a non-load bearing, which
in case I'll assume load bearing to be safe.

Thanks guys!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 22, 11:22*am, BobK207 wrote:
On Jan 22, 10:50 am, wrote:

On Jan 22, 10:47 am, ransley wrote:

On Jan 22, 12:07 pm, wrote:

To me it looks like it can't be a load bearing wall with an alcove
directly above it. I want to put in a pocket door that will slide
almost all the way to the black vent pipe. The header is what I'm
trying to find out about.

http://usera.imagecave.com/ronnald/wall.jpg

Thanks!

Are you only taking out the middle 2x4, because I see 4x4s surrounding
everything for support

I'm going to have to take out the end 4x4. A pocket door will be
sliding in there.

OP-

I'm going to have to take out the end 4x4

That wall (esp the end 4x4) supports the top plate of the wall, which
supports the that 6x spanning the hall.

The end of the 6x catches the corner features above it.

Builders tend not to put in unneeded timber.
That 4x & 6x are there for a reason, if you remove the 4x you've got
to add something to do what it was doing.

OR

perhaps the 4x is not necessary but (I doubt it)

My suggestion is use regular doors to close the hall
OR
hide the pocket doors in the bedroom(?) that is behind the demo'd
wall.
You'll loose about 5" out of it but your life will be a whole lot
easier.

removing that 4x is a risky choice.

cheers
Bob- Hide quoted text -

Agree. It's bathtub on the otherside. I'm installing a swing door.
I'll post a pic when finished.

Thanks for the help though!