Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hardwood on concrete

Since i've got some 3/4 hardwood which I can't use upstairs, I was
thinking I could use it downstairs. The area I want to use it in has
2/3 new construction slab, 1/3 old construction. the new area is on
grade, the 1/3 is partially below grade (on one side). (the ground
slopes from the old to the new.)

Is the issue with hardwood below grade strictly an issue of moisture
and subflooring?

Anybody know a good site/link for (successfully) installing 3/4
hardwood on slab?

thanks, B
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kunta Kinte wrote:
Since i've got some 3/4 hardwood which I can't use upstairs, I was
thinking I could use it downstairs. The area I want to use it in has
2/3 new construction slab, 1/3 old construction. the new area is on
grade, the 1/3 is partially below grade (on one side). (the ground
slopes from the old to the new.)

Is the issue with hardwood below grade strictly an issue of moisture
and subflooring?

Anybody know a good site/link for (successfully) installing 3/4
hardwood on slab?

thanks, B

Try any of the hardwood flooring sites. They will have their specs for
installation over concrete. Here is the one for Armstrong:

http://www.armstrong.com/content2/resam/files/18898.pdf

It requires either a layer of 3/4" plywood, or sleepers installed onto
the concrete. Depending upon how you do that, you would install a
moisture barrier in conjuntion with it, either above or below.

Then install the flooring on the substrate.

I don't know of any hardwood flooring manufacturer that will warranty
solid HW floors directly onto concrete.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kunta Kinte" wrote in message
Since i've got some 3/4 hardwood which I can't use upstairs,

Is the issue with hardwood below grade strictly an issue of moisture
and subflooring?

Sorry, it is not recommended unless you take special steps, like putting
insulation and vapor barrier between 2 x 4 sleepers. You lose a lot of
headroom that way and a PITA in places. You can use engineered hardwood
though, along with the proper barrier.