Posted to alt.energy.homepower,misc.rural,alt.home.repair

Default What REC said: was "lost electricity"

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 01:28:09 -0500, Neon John wrote:

let's go back to that Stefan-Boltzmann calculator and do a little
math.

Forget Stefan-Boltzmann and look at the volts, amps and ohms *that* is
what matters.

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,misc.rural,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 12:24:25 -0500, wrote:

What you are totally missing is why we buy power in the first place.
We buy it to do work. If my AC is getting less power, it has to work
longer to cool the same space. Since air conditioning is about 1/2 to
3/4 of the total power consumed in the summer, that becomes a
significant issue. If a light burns a little less, or the pool pump
runs a little slower, I might not notice it or bother to compensate
for it. However, the thermostat on the AC compensates automatically,
and the AC runs longer without my doing anything. Therefore, the
power wasted in heating the wiring has to be made up by using an
equivalent amount of power to allow the AC to do its work.

If utility companies (worldwide) want to reduce demand they have three
standard approaches - although not all are used in every country.

They either:

1) dynamically constrain demand from commercial users (AC/heating
setpoint changes for instance)

2) drop the volts at the consumers point of service by transformer
tapping at the HV-Distribution voltage transformer

3) block load shed.

A resistive joint upstream of your supply simply drops volts but
doesn't EVER make your local meter turn faster by increasing your
instantaneous power consumption.

A resistive joint, of the magnitude that doesn't set fire to your
house makes bugger all difference to your power consumption.

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,misc.rural,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 22:47:37 +0000, Mike wrote:

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 01:28:09 -0500, Neon John wrote:

let's go back to that Stefan-Boltzmann calculator and do a little
math.

Forget Stefan-Boltzmann and look at the volts, amps and ohms *that* is
what matters.

Actually, it is a good fire, a cold one, and a suitable wench that
matters.
Posted to alt.energy.homepower,misc.rural,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 22:48:34 +0000, Mike wrote:

A resistive joint, of the magnitude that doesn't set fire to your
house makes bugger all difference to your power consumption.

Clinton already talked about resisting joints. Old news. Re-read my
second post for comprehension. I'm beginning to understand why N-J
tends to be abrupt and abrasive.

If your premise were true, then we would have trolley cars that were
fed 600 vdc and operated fine even 15 miles from the power source.

Tell yah what, big boy. Stick a few 100 watt light bulbs upstream of
your load. You might get illuminated.

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,misc.rural,alt.home.repair

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

Hey, anybody know that formula that goes like

P equals I over E or something like that

My details on "no spin" Kenmore or Whirlpool "Motor Coupling" upgrades, and washer repair. [email protected] Home Repair 6 January 3rd 09 07:36 AM
""FREE "DELETED FILE RECOVERY " TRUE "" Honestperson Electronics Repair 1 December 15th 07 02:13 PM
"Weak" Electricity de_ja UK diy 23 November 28th 07 01:03 PM
Electricity in Greenhouse. "Good Practice" question. Vortex UK diy 4 March 11th 07 02:47 PM