Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default My pipes froze and now did break, water all over the place...

Do I have to shut off my hot water tank? I never did that before. How
do I turn that thing off? How to get the water out?

I have straw outside my crawl space home to warm the pipes. I had
water dripping from the faucets so that the pipes don't freeze. I
opened the closets underneath the sinks. I had a space heater blowing
warm heat at the pipes, nevertheless they FROZE and bursted today.

I don't think that I get a plummer before Tuesday.

I shut the main water valve off.

Now, my question is: As I am living alone, would you shut the main
water valve off every day before you go to bed and empty all pipes and
open the main water valve the next morning to protect the pipes?

Is there anything that speaks against shutting the main water switch
off every day?

What I am thinking is this: If the plummer is fixing the pipes on
Tuesday, it might cost me dearly. Then he goes, the next day, they
freeze again up on me, etc. And I have to fix them again, and again,
and again, till it is finally spring.

What do you think?

Gene