Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Schedule 35 or 40 PVC

I have a drain that exits my house for gray-water. It's a greenish
pvc. If there were numbers on it, they are long gone. This pipe is
just on the surface of the lawn. It drains the bathtub and wash
machine. This is legal out here in farm country. I have had this for
years. Once before it clogged and froze during a severe cold spell.
I have these pipes connected with Fernco couplers so it's easy to take
apart. There is about 45 ft of pipe draining downhill. I have
intentionally left it on the surface in case it does freeze. That way
it's easy to fix in winter.

Anyhow, this week it froze again during our severe cold. This time I
found one of the pipes had split. I unscrewed one of the ferncos and
pulled off the last 30 feet. I took a hose, connected it to the hot
water heater and shoved it up the pipe until the clog broke. Same as
last time, a lint clog. I just went to buy a new section of pipe.
They said this green stuff is schedule 35. The guy at the store did
not seem to know much, and said that this is not the right stuff, and
I need schedule 40. While the schedule 40 is thicker walled, and
cheaper, I thought that schedule 35 was sunlight resistant. I decided
not to buy anything until I know which is best to use in an exposed
situation. (either way I am still going to have the remaining 30+
feet of green pipe in use, since I am only replacing the bad section.

Which should I use?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You should use whatever you want and either; get UV resistant pipe,
paint it, or cover it. The schedule has nothing to do with PVC
resistance. It has everything to do with the thickness and strength of
the pipe. The fact that the 35 you found is PVC resistant has nothing
to do with its schedule.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

you can get sched 40 PVC that is sunlight resistant that is used for
electrical, grey

you might put a lint trap towards the head end, in a place easy to
clean. one type, put a nylon stocking on the end of
the washer discharge hose, this goes into drain pipe, pull out
frequently and clean it could try the same with window screen pouch.
this pits it inside a warm environment.

could also put window screen over the end of the pipe as it goes into
coupler. clean frequently but it will be out in the cold.

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 16:16:21 -0600, wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Jan 20, 4:45*pm, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 16:16:21 -0600, wrote:
I thought that schedule 35 was sunlight resistant.

UV will damage any PVC exposed for long periods. A few pieces of scrap
in my yard (electrical /irrigation) show serious darker coloration
from Sun in our desert.

Oren
--

Isn't the gray electrical PVC UV resistant?

Red
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 00:16:11 +0000, john
wrote:

you can get sched 40 PVC that is sunlight resistant that is used for
electrical, grey

Do they make that stuff in 4 inch size?

you might put a lint trap towards the head end, in a place easy to
clean. one type, put a nylon stocking on the end of
the washer discharge hose, this goes into drain pipe, pull out
frequently and clean it could try the same with window screen pouch.
this pits it inside a warm environment.

could also put window screen over the end of the pipe as it goes into
coupler. clean frequently but it will be out in the cold.

Yes, I got to do something to stop that lint, at least in cold
weather. It's hard to believe that enough crud can build up in one
spot to cause a freezup of a 4" pipe. I suppose it builds up,
freezes, and just keeps building up more and more. After I broke the
clog with the hot water, I dumped a few handfuls of rock salt down the
tub drain to hopefully loosen up any other possible iceballs in there.

Thanks

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 17:41:51 -0600, "S. Barker"
wrote:

Take the regular white sch40 and paint it. There. sunlight no longer hurts
it.

My 2" solar panel/pool PVC pipes are painted. Installer performed. I'm
in the desert - works great. Even got a matching color!

Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

S. Barker wrote:

PVC resistance?

"Robert Allison" wrote in message

You should use whatever you want and either; get UV resistant pipe, paint
it, or cover it. The schedule has nothing to do with PVC resistance. It
has everything to do with the thickness and strength of the pipe. The
fact that the 35 you found is PVC resistant has nothing to do with its
schedule.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Georgetown, TX

AFAICT, IOW, IMHO, what I meant was UV resistance. YMMV

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

you can get sched 40 PVC that is sunlight resistant that is used for
electrical, grey

Do they make that stuff in 4 inch size?

Of course. Go to your local electrical supply. NOT Home Depot or Lowes.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I installed a PVC pipe that drains the A/C condensate to the outdoors.
I used Schedule 40. I painted the PVC pipe with black Rustoleum 16
years ago and it never peeled, cracked or chipped off. In fact, I
painted all exterior pipes black, including the exposed gas lines.
Lightly sand the PVC with 150-grit sandpaper to prep for painting.
Whatever you use, make sure you have the proper primer and glue for
the type of pipe selected. Some PVC glues are made specifically for
one kind of PVC, others work on many different kinds.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 16:25:58 -0800 (PST), Red
wrote:

On Jan 20, 4:45*pm, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 16:16:21 -0600, wrote:
I thought that schedule 35 was sunlight resistant.

UV will damage any PVC exposed for long periods. A few pieces of scrap
in my yard (electrical /irrigation) show serious darker coloration
from Sun in our desert.

Oren
--

Isn't the gray electrical PVC UV resistant?

Red

Yes. Here is what the Sun did on the scrap pieces in the yard.

The left one was turned - for comparison.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...21_0001jpg.jpg

Oren