Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default Schedule 35 or 40 PVC

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 16:16:21 -0600, wrote:

I have a drain that exits my house for gray-water. It's a greenish
pvc. If there were numbers on it, they are long gone. This pipe is
just on the surface of the lawn. It drains the bathtub and wash
machine. This is legal out here in farm country. I have had this for
years. Once before it clogged and froze during a severe cold spell.
I have these pipes connected with Fernco couplers so it's easy to take
apart. There is about 45 ft of pipe draining downhill. I have
intentionally left it on the surface in case it does freeze. That way
it's easy to fix in winter.

Anyhow, this week it froze again during our severe cold. This time I
found one of the pipes had split. I unscrewed one of the ferncos and
pulled off the last 30 feet. I took a hose, connected it to the hot
water heater and shoved it up the pipe until the clog broke. Same as
last time, a lint clog. I just went to buy a new section of pipe.
They said this green stuff is schedule 35. The guy at the store did
not seem to know much, and said that this is not the right stuff, and
I need schedule 40. While the schedule 40 is thicker walled, and
cheaper, I thought that schedule 35 was sunlight resistant. I decided
not to buy anything until I know which is best to use in an exposed
situation. (either way I am still going to have the remaining 30+
feet of green pipe in use, since I am only replacing the bad section.

Which should I use?

Thanks

I installed a PVC pipe that drains the A/C condensate to the outdoors.
I used Schedule 40. I painted the PVC pipe with black Rustoleum 16
years ago and it never peeled, cracked or chipped off. In fact, I
painted all exterior pipes black, including the exposed gas lines.
Lightly sand the PVC with 150-grit sandpaper to prep for painting.
Whatever you use, make sure you have the proper primer and glue for
the type of pipe selected. Some PVC glues are made specifically for
one kind of PVC, others work on many different kinds.