Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing water supply shutoff to toilet

I have a leak when I open the shutoff so I guess I need to replace the
valve. I am not sure that this is a do it yourself project. I am
handy but not experienced with plumbing. Any advice? Should I leave
this to the professionals?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 17, 6:57 am, Murph wrote:
I have a leak when I open the shutoff so I guess I need to replace the
valve. I am not sure that this is a do it yourself project. I am
handy but not experienced with plumbing. Any advice? Should I leave
this to the professionals?

it's a pretty simple DIY task but depending on the age & current
installation method there could be some problems.

Do a search with Google using the following search string

replacing toilet shut off valve

OR

search this ng for the topic

replacing toilet shut off valve

or some similar words

I'm sure the topic's been covered

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Murph wrote:

I have a leak when I open the shutoff so I guess I need to replace the
valve. I am not sure that this is a do it yourself project. I am
handy but not experienced with plumbing. Any advice? Should I leave
this to the professionals?

It's duck soup, and you should leave it to the professionals.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Murph wrote:
I have a leak when I open the shutoff so I guess I need to replace the
valve. I am not sure that this is a do it yourself project. I am
handy but not experienced with plumbing. Any advice? Should I leave
this to the professionals?

Where is this leak occurring? If it is around the stem of the handle,
the nut around the stem might be tightened slightly and stop the leak.
If it is around the connecting hose or tubing leading to the toilet, the
same might be done or some Teflon tape or pipe dope applied. If you do
not know what these things are, then seek help. It really depends upon
where the leak is and how badly it leaks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 17, 10:57�am, Ken wrote:
Murph wrote:
I have a leak when I open the shutoff so I guess I need to replace the
valve. �I am not sure that this is a do it yourself project. �I am
handy but not experienced with plumbing. �Any advice? �Should I leave
this to the professionals?

� � � � Where is this leak occurring? �If it is around the stem of the handle,
the nut around the stem might be tightened slightly and stop the leak.
If it is around the connecting hose or tubing leading to the toilet, the
same might be done or some Teflon tape or pipe dope applied. �If you do
not know what these things are, then seek help. �It really depends upon
where the leak is and how badly it leaks.

leak might be from above, say at seal where line enters tank then runs
down supply line dripping at valve.

some words of advice, if you must replace the valve install a ball
valve, less chance of future leaks FAST 1/4 turn shut off in
emergencies

be careful the line that enters to floor or wall can break off causing
much grief

Posted to alt.home.repair

Depends,

If you look at where the supply pipe enters the shut off valve, do you
see a nut or is the valve soldered to the pipe? If it is a nut, then
you should have what is called a compression fitting. This type is
fairly easy to replace. If it is soldered, then you need a torch and
some basic plumbing skills and you might consider calling a plumber.

If it is leaking from the stem, then you might need to gently tighten
the packing nut. Since these valves tend to be cheaply made, you will
probably need to replace it. If it leaks from where the toilet supply
line enters the valve, try tightening that nut or replace the supply
line. Spend the extra money and get the stainless steel braided type.
Take the old one with you to the store to get the right size, The
connection to the shutoff valve comes in two sizes.