Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default Garage door "tuneup"

My garage door was serviced a couple of years ago but recently began making
a squealing sounds. I've gotten a couple of coupons for a $49 "winter
maintenance special" or "tune-up" that's supposed to cover minor things like
lubrication and simple adjustments and I'm considering using one of them.
When I called the place that last serviced the door and asked them if they
offered something similar, they said that their minimum charge for something
similar is $95 and said that the places that offer those $49 coupons will
tend to find something that needs to be fixed and that I'd wind up paying a
lot more than $49.

My question is this: can anyone speak to their claim about the $49 just
being a way for companies to get their foot in the garage door (pun
intended)? Have people on here relied on these $49 specials without being
told they needed much more expensive repairs, or is it the company that I
called and spoke to that's trying to overcharge me?

P.S. Yes, I've already tried lubricating the door myself to eliminate the
squealing sound.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Bob Jackson wrote:
[...]

IMHO any the "cheap checkup" offers for anything are generally just leaders
to find something wrong that they can charge you to fix. Just tell the guy
you're not interested in anything outside of the $49 tuneup, and write down
and make sure he does everything on the tuneup list.

Ironically, though, I'd be kind of interested in that; its a lot more than
$49 or even $95 to get your garage door fixed when it breaks, usually at
the LEAST convenient time and there seems to be some black magic to fixing
them as far as I can tell.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Bob Jackson wrote:
[...]

The squealing sound is most likely from something like the spring
pulleys or a door part rubbing the track as the door moves or other
similar thing. It's usually not the normally moving parts of the doors,
especially if it's been a year or more since it was last adjusted
completely.

A little grease or oil would help that, but ... it's the wrong "fix"
because those parts aren't supposed to be touching each other. Best to
get someone to look at it, you're right.

w/r to $49 specials, unless I already knew and had experience with the
place, I'd avoid them simply because they are an unknown with a tendancy
to be ripoffs in many cases. I might change my mind if there was a good
friend recommended them, or something to at least indicate they do good
work, but otherwise, no. For sure the special means they want more
business, but what kind of work they do, how long they've been doing it,
etc etc aren't worth my being a guinea pig to find those things out.
Personally I'd avoid them.

Around these parts, Overhead Door has the best rep and a long history of
operation; they also are good about phone discussions and whether it's
something I might be able to do myself, etc.. One time after I called
them about replacing a broken spring, which I had already bought but had
a question about, their truck stopped by later that afernoon just to see
if all went OK. It did; he watched the door open/close once, and left
after instructing me how to watch for the spring to change tension after
a couple weeks since it was new, with me being a pretty happy camper.
And even more loyal. Ymmv and I may be lucky, but I always opt for the
places with longevity and rep if I can.

My 2 ¢ anyway,

Twayne

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Art Art is offline

I got ripped off by one of the $49 places. I paid them their $49 and thru
them out after listening to their claims that my door needed $600 of
hardware repairs. For less than that I replaced the door and all hardware
with a high quality insulated Wayne Dalton door , installed.

"Bob Jackson" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

the squeal is from the door itself rubbing on the track somewhere. you'll
have to possibly adjust the track, and/or the tension on one of the cables.
The door being pulled harder on one side than the other causes it to shift
to one side and rub on the track. Inspect the door edges carefully and i'll
bet you find a nice shiny spot on one edge or the other where it's been up
against the track.

steve

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Bob Jackson writes:

My question is this: can anyone speak to their claim about the $49 just
being a way for companies to get their foot in the garage door (pun
intended)?

Bogus sales trick. Similar to a bait-and-switch scam. Suckers those
needing a repair who hope against hope it will just cost $49 to fix their
trouble, because, hey, a "tune up" (meaningless term in this context) will
do the job.

The most critical sales edge is just to get the customer to call. Hardly
anyone turns away whoever shows up first, because they have no idea what
they need. If somehow they know what they need, they still have no idea
what it should cost.

Your only defense is to know how these door work, how they fail, how they
are repaired, and what the market prices ought to be. Anything less sets
you up to be a victim. Even "reputable" firms will exploit your wallet.

Information asymmetry.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

G. Morgan wrote:
Bob Jackson wrote:

P.S. Yes, I've already tried lubricating the door myself to eliminate the
squealing sound.

Which begs the question, did you lubricate it correctly?

1 Do not use heavy weight grease or WD-40, use a good silicone based
spray.

I've been advised by two different garage door guys to WD-40 the bottom 3'
or so of track to keep it from rusting.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Howard Beale wrote:
G. Morgan wrote:

Bob Jackson wrote:

P.S. Yes, I've already tried lubricating the door myself to eliminate
the
squealing sound.

Which begs the question, did you lubricate it correctly?

1 Do not use heavy weight grease or WD-40, use a good silicone based
spray.

I've been advised by two different garage door guys to WD-40 the bottom
3' or so of track to keep it from rusting.

Well, it won't help - WD-40 is good for cleaning and initial lubrication
but you need to follow up with a real lubricant before the WD-40 dries
up to get any long term benefit.

WD-40 is a good solvent, and good for drying out electrical components.
For every other use that it's advertised as being good for, there's a
readily available product that does a far better job.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel