Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Delta shower faucet, 2300 series

I hope I provide enough details/information so that I can get some
good feedback. And yes, I have googled til I'm blue, but don't come
up with what I'm looking for.

Problem dates back to a water softener. Some how the catalytic beads
in the shower escaped into the water system. The softener is long
gone and replaced.

Afterwards, problems began in the water heater. Constant replacing
elements and low output. We finally replaced the water heater, but
noticed a sludge buildup in the water heater that leads me to think
the bead and their resultant sludge breakdown was the problem in the
water heater.

About that same time as the water softener episode, the shower faucets
exhibited a marked reduction in pressure. I've cleaned screens, and
the casual things that one can do. The water pressure in all other
areas of the house are good and high. Volume and pressure is good in
all other faucets.

I haven't called a plumber in yet, because I think I can remedy this
by getting to and changing the seats/springs. I think, based on what
I saw in the water heater connections that I have particulate impeding
flow.
I HAVE gone to my plumber supply and gotten parts list and parts
breakdown.

My question here, is how to remove the stem, and guts to get to the
seat and springs on the temperature side. I have a link to photos.
The volume side is a no brainer, it has an euschutcheon. It's the
temperature side that I'm curious as to how it comes out. My plumbing
supply is ordering pretty much everything inside on the temperature
side, and just seats and springs on the volume side.

Once again, any advice on how to remove the temperature guts will be
certainly appreciated.
Here's the link to plumbing photos. (copy and paste)

Thank you, thank you and thank you!!
Perry
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 12, 11:43*am, cajunpaisley wrote:
[...]

I have scanned and added the Delta Parts breakdown on this item.
Thanks for any help or input.
Thanks.
Perry
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 12, 2:31 pm, cajunpaisley wrote:
[...]

Resin beads in the plumbing is a real bad problem. Resin beads are
very small and block up faucet cartridges, solenoid and stop valves
etc. etc. very easily causing them to suffer loss of flow until the
cartridge etc. is replaced. That can be a tough job, as you see and
you may need a special tool. Check with the supply house and
manufacturer of the faucet etc..

Gary Slusser
Quality Water Associates
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi Gary...
Yep...the water softener mess really did a number on the water heater. The
resultant sludge collected mostly in the water heater, and caused some
occlusion in connections between dis-similar metals at the water heater
connection. I am sure that is the problem with the loss of pressure at the
shower valves.

Thanks.
Perry