Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Exterior Outlets

I have a bunch of exterior outlets scattered around my home. They are
just a duplex 120 volt outlet in a plastic box covered by the typical
aluminum plate with a single spring loaded cover that is flush with the
exterior siding. The whole thing is far from water resistant...it just
looks like it is.

The breakers that supply many of these outlets trip frequently, usually
after a heavy rain, or on a day when the seas are heavy. (Two sides of
my house get a lot of salt water spray on a heavy day.)

Now, I have all of the supplying breakers turned off but in the spring
I'd like to fix the problem. What would you folks suggest for
replacement assemblies? I'm willing to replace anything that I can
without removing the siding.

Thanks,
Boden
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 9, 8:20 pm, Boden wrote:
I have a bunch of exterior outlets scattered around my home. They are
just a duplex 120 volt outlet in a plastic box covered by the typical
aluminum plate with a single spring loaded cover that is flush with the
exterior siding. The whole thing is far from water resistant...it just
looks like it is.

The breakers that supply many of these outlets trip frequently, usually
after a heavy rain, or on a day when the seas are heavy. (Two sides of
my house get a lot of salt water spray on a heavy day.)

Now, I have all of the supplying breakers turned off but in the spring
I'd like to fix the problem. What would you folks suggest for
replacement assemblies? I'm willing to replace anything that I can
without removing the siding.

Thanks,
Boden

I can't recommend a specific cover, but I suggest you try a commercial
supply house. Some of the industrial electrical stuff will be much
more effective.

I further suggest that you make sure that the outlet box is
weathersealed, etc. A tight cover won't do much good if the water can
get past the plate. If the breakers are tripping after a rain, this
might be a source of the problem.

Lastly, and I suppose this is unnecessary: Are these outlets GFCI
protected?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Boden wrote:

The breakers that supply many of these outlets trip frequently, usually
after a heavy rain, or on a day when the seas are heavy. (Two sides of
my house get a lot of salt water spray on a heavy day.)

Is this a houseboat? Seriously, check out a marine supply
house for outlets in that environment. If you're truly getting
salt water spray, none of the usual electrical outlets will
cut it for you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Those covers are intended to be rain tight only when closed, however if
they're not sealed tight to the siding, water will drain down into them. I
would try a bead of silicone on the top edge of the cover and slightly down
the sides, leaving the bottom unsealed

"Boden" wrote in message
I have a bunch of exterior outlets scattered around my home. They are just
a duplex 120 volt outlet in a plastic box covered by the typical aluminum
plate with a single spring loaded cover that is flush with the exterior
siding. The whole thing is far from water resistant...it just looks like
it is.

The breakers that supply many of these outlets trip frequently, usually
after a heavy rain, or on a day when the seas are heavy. (Two sides of my
house get a lot of salt water spray on a heavy day.)

Now, I have all of the supplying breakers turned off but in the spring I'd
like to fix the problem. What would you folks suggest for replacement
assemblies? I'm willing to replace anything that I can without removing
the siding.

Thanks,
Boden

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 22:20:02 -0500, Boden wrote:

-snip-
Now, I have all of the supplying breakers turned off but in the spring
I'd like to fix the problem. What would you folks suggest for
replacement assemblies? I'm willing to replace anything that I can
without removing the siding.

I like function over form, so the 'while in use' covers work for me.
Some folks think they're ugly, but I like being able to leave things
plugged in during a downpour and not worry about the GFCI tripping.

I got a box of a dozen last spring for about $4 each on ebay. The
covers run about $8-10 at the local borg.

Your local electric supply might have some choices- they come in
several configurations.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

I have a brick veneer house. I plan on installing flashing above each
outlet box next time for a serious fix.

"Boden" wrote in message
I have a bunch of exterior outlets scattered around my home. They are just
a duplex 120 volt outlet in a plastic box covered by the typical aluminum
plate with a single spring loaded cover that is flush with the exterior
siding. The whole thing is far from water resistant...it just looks like
it is.

The breakers that supply many of these outlets trip frequently, usually
after a heavy rain, or on a day when the seas are heavy. (Two sides of my
house get a lot of salt water spray on a heavy day.)

Now, I have all of the supplying breakers turned off but in the spring I'd
like to fix the problem. What would you folks suggest for replacement
assemblies? I'm willing to replace anything that I can without removing
the siding.

Thanks,
Boden

Outlets -- which way? [email protected] Home Repair 0 December 6th 06 06:36 PM
GFI outlets k Home Repair 7 November 9th 06 08:49 PM
Two Outlets in One Box [email protected] Home Repair 9 January 4th 05 03:32 AM
15 Amp Outlets Greg and Kelly Carr Home Repair 11 November 5th 04 04:10 AM
can I apply exterior semi gloss directly over flat exterior paint? Bruce Millar Home Repair 7 April 14th 04 05:56 AM