Posted to alt.home.repair
k k is offline

Default GFI outlets

Is is a simple swap-out to install gfi outlets? They've always been there,
but this place has none. I know the bathrooms need them, but how about the
kitchen and wet-bar? Anywhere else? Near the washing machine maybe?

thanks in advance,
Keith

Posted to alt.home.repair

It is the same as switching out a regular outlet. I remodeled my
bathroom and switched all the plugs to GFI. The plugs usually come
with instructions as to where to place the wires and ground.

k wrote:
Is is a simple swap-out to install gfi outlets? They've always been there,
but this place has none. I know the bathrooms need them, but how about the
kitchen and wet-bar? Anywhere else? Near the washing machine maybe?

thanks in advance,
Keith

Posted to alt.home.repair

"k" wrote in message
news
Is is a simple swap-out to install gfi outlets? They've always been
there, but this place has none. I know the bathrooms need them, but how
about the kitchen and wet-bar? Anywhere else? Near the washing machine
maybe?

They are for all wet areas and outside outlets and garages. They need a
feed with a ground wire.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

If there are only two wires + ground in the box, it's easy, just connect to
the "line" side for both hot and neutral. If there are more than two wires
in the box, you have to figure out which are the feed wires, and if you want
to protect the downstream wiring through the device, which isn't always a
good idea. Also, if you are installing gfci's in tile, be sure the tile was
cut out to expose the entire box opening or the device won't fit. Generally
there is no requirement to upgrade outlet devices to current code, but if
you want to anyway, GFCI's are required for all kitchen counter outlets,
bathroom outlets, accessible garage outlets, unfinished basement outlets,
and outside outlets

"k" wrote in message
news
Is is a simple swap-out to install gfi outlets? They've always been
there, but this place has none. I know the bathrooms need them, but how
about the kitchen and wet-bar? Anywhere else? Near the washing machine
maybe?

thanks in advance,
Keith

Posted to alt.home.repair

in older homes the outlet box may be to shallow, just have a look, and
see:
http://www.landfield.com/faqs/electrical-wiring/part1/

k wrote:
Is is a simple swap-out to install gfi outlets? They've always been there,
but this place has none. I know the bathrooms need them, but how about the
kitchen and wet-bar? Anywhere else? Near the washing machine maybe?

thanks in advance,
Keith

Posted to alt.home.repair

k posted for all of us...

Is is a simple swap-out to install gfi outlets? They've always been there,
but this place has none. I know the bathrooms need them, but how about the
kitchen and wet-bar? Anywhere else? Near the washing machine maybe?

thanks in advance,
Keith

Asked and answered MANY times - do your own research.
--
Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.
Posted to alt.home.repair
k k is offline

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I have a little project for the
weekend now.

Keith

news