Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to proceed with demolition?

Hi,

We friends and I have demolished most of our old bathroom but we are
not sure how to proceed with the floor. The following picture provides
the view from where the bathtub used to be. What are we looking at
here? Is it wetbed on top of something else? Should all of it be
removed and if so, what's the best tool for doing that?

http://freeboundaries.com/close.jpg

Many thanks in advance!

Aaron Fude
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 8, 6:18 pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

We friends and I have demolished most of our old bathroom but we are
not sure how to proceed with the floor. The following picture provides
the view from where the bathtub used to be. What are we looking at
here? Is it wetbed on top of something else? Should all of it be
removed and if so, what's the best tool for doing that?

http://freeboundaries.com/close.jpg

Many thanks in advance!

Aaron Fude

This is a mud bed. Best would be to break it up into pieces with a
demo hammer. If you don't have one, try going at it with a sledge and
a big crowbar.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 8, 7:18*pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

We friends and I have demolished most of our old bathroom but we are
not sure how to proceed with the floor. The following picture provides
the view from where the bathtub used to be. What are we looking at
here? Is it wetbed on top of something else? Should all of it be
removed and if so, what's the best tool for doing that?

http://freeboundaries.com/close.jpg

Many thanks in advance!

Aaron Fude

Been there, done that, except that my pipes were under the subfloor,
so I only had about 2.5 inches of mud to remove.

I just chipped away with a hammer and chisel, hauling bucket after
bucket out to the curb, until it was gone. I had a plaster stippled
ceiling below the bathroom so I was no more agressive with my pounding
than I had to be. Luckily nothing happend to the ceiling below. Keep
that in mind if you have a similiar situation.

Obviously, be careful around the pipes - is that a gas pipe in the
center?

Looks to me like when you're done you are going to have to frame a new
subfloor over the existing one to conceal the pipes. Keep in mind the
height of your finish material as you figure out how to frame the
floor. Getting the height right with a mud base is "easy", but if you
are going to use "modern" building materials (i.e. 2 byes, plywood and
cement board) the thicknesses of all those materials will have to be
considered right from the start.

One more green secret mucosas surprisingly fund as the mad madames proceed. Merl B. Brummet Home Repair 0 December 9th 07 11:14 PM
Demolition costs yogi UK diy 8 July 6th 07 11:59 PM
Too many urgent repairs recommanded in Homebuyers report, Should we proceed? Steve Walker UK diy 15 May 12th 06 03:54 PM
Demolition miamicuse Home Repair 11 March 30th 06 12:35 AM
Big burl: how to proceed? Ern Reeders Woodturning 2 June 3rd 04 11:29 AM