Posted to alt.home.repair

Default radon levels under slab

I've been using a radon detector (National Safety Products Pro 3) to
check radon levels in our house. Levels are high, but within my
expectations for our situation (25 in basement, 15 upstairs).

But, then I put a hole in the cellar floor, dug out a 1' deep hole, and
put the detector down there. It's getting readings of 300+. I'm kind
of surprised at this If anyone has any insight on 'in ground' radon
measurements, I'd appreciate hearing.

(NB: It would be OK to spare me the 'OMG, evacuate the house and call a
HazMat team" comments. Bandwidth is a precious resource.)

TIA,
George
Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
I've been using a radon detector (National Safety Products Pro 3) to
check radon levels in our house. Levels are high, but within my
expectations for our situation (25 in basement, 15 upstairs).

But, then I put a hole in the cellar floor, dug out a 1' deep hole, and
put the detector down there. It's getting readings of 300+. I'm kind
of surprised at this If anyone has any insight on 'in ground' radon
measurements, I'd appreciate hearing.

(NB: It would be OK to spare me the 'OMG, evacuate the house and call a
HazMat team" comments. Bandwidth is a precious resource.)

TIA,
George

Doesn't surprise me that readings are very high in-ground.

Some insight he
http://energy.cr.usgs.gov/radon/georadon/3.html

Google around. You may be able to find maps of Radon levels
in your geographic area or state.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

I used to live in Lancaster, PA. We had a radon problem in that area
of PA -- the "Reading Prong," I believe. The radon abatement mechanism
was to drill a couple of large holes in the cellar floor and pump out
the air under the slab. We got the reading down to somewhat less than
1 pC/L after a week, and could easily hold it there. They also caulked
up any cracks in the basement wall/floor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
I've been using a radon detector (National Safety Products Pro 3) to
check radon levels in our house. Levels are high, but within my
expectations for our situation (25 in basement, 15 upstairs).

But, then I put a hole in the cellar floor, dug out a 1' deep hole,
and put the detector down there. It's getting readings of 300+.
I'm kind of surprised at this If anyone has any insight on 'in
ground' radon measurements, I'd appreciate hearing.

(NB: It would be OK to spare me the 'OMG, evacuate the house and call
a HazMat team" comments. Bandwidth is a precious resource.)

TIA,
George

In future, please abbreviate "bandwidth" as "bndwth," thereby saving
precious bndwth.

Thnks

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 8, 2:20*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
George wrote:
I've been using a radon detector (National Safety Products Pro 3) to
check radon levels in our house. *Levels are high, but within my
expectations for our situation (25 in basement, 15 upstairs).

But, then I put a hole in the cellar floor, dug out a 1' deep hole,
and put the detector down there. *It's getting readings of 300+.
I'm kind of surprised at this *If anyone has any insight on 'in
ground' radon measurements, I'd appreciate hearing.

(NB: It would be OK to spare me the 'OMG, evacuate the house and call
a HazMat team" comments. *Bandwidth is a precious resource.)

TIA,
George

In future, please abbreviate "bandwidth" as "bndwth," thereby saving
precious bndwth.

Thnks

Yu cn do bttr...
abbrevte bndwth as bdwth 2b evn mor mizrly.

Joe

radon problems, sub slab depressurization doesn't seem to help. ceh Home Repair 7 December 10th 07 04:18 PM
Radon S H O P D O G[_2_] Home Repair 0 August 9th 07 02:41 AM
Radon...what would you do? Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com Home Repair 40 May 23rd 06 07:03 PM
Radon information. PVR Home Repair 11 September 14th 05 12:56 PM
RADON fish Home Repair 4 June 11th 05 07:46 PM