Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Thread Lock

I have occasionally seen bolts with a dot of thread lock on them. Any
idea what kind of thread lock this is? I need it on a flashlight end
cap and cannot have the normal liquid type as it would destroy the
electrical connection. Thanks.

Mike D.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Mike Dobony wrote:
I have occasionally seen bolts with a dot of thread lock on them. Any
idea what kind of thread lock this is? I need it on a flashlight end
cap and cannot have the normal liquid type as it would destroy the
electrical connection. Thanks.

I think those compounds are uv- or otherwise "set", not just a "dab-on"
application.

Not sure of a specific recommendation, but Permatex and others have a
bundle of options. Whether there's one really adapted that's readily
available I don't know, though.

I'd probably look at something more mechanical if it were mine,
however--peening a thread a little, figuring out how to add a o-ring or
somesuch as a friction washer, etc., ... or, start over w/ a different
flashlight.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, the usual suspects are LocTite -- any hardware store. Devcon
makes one as well. Threads need to be clean, etc., for it to work
well.

Back when I was in the electronics game, we used to use a dab of red
nail polish. Cheap stuff in the local drug store.

Urethane varnish might do as well. I do a fair amount of model ship
building, and I find a drop of varnish (ready at hand!) works nicely
for anchoring things.

The problem is when you need to loosen things up again. For example
the "red" LocTite needs some heat.

Peening the threads a little, as the other poster suggests would work,
but that sort of goes against my grain.
Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

On Jan 7, 11:26*am, professorpaul wrote:
Well, the usual suspects are LocTite -- any hardware store. Devcon
makes one as well. Threads need to be clean, etc., for it to work
well.

Back when I was in the electronics game, we used to use a dab of red
nail polish. Cheap stuff in the local drug store.

Urethane varnish might do as well. I do a fair amount of model ship
building, and I find a drop of varnish (ready at hand!) works nicely
for anchoring things.

The problem is when you need to loosen things up again. For example
the "red" LocTite needs some heat.

Peening the threads a little, as the other poster suggests would work,
but that sort of goes against my grain.

Yeah, just a glop of nail polish was the ticket, back in the day.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
news
I have occasionally seen bolts with a dot of thread lock on them. Any idea
what kind of thread lock this is? I need it on a flashlight end cap and
cannot have the normal liquid type as it would destroy the electrical
connection. Thanks.

Mike D.

MD:

Under less than extreme circumstances, Teflon pipe tape will do. That is
what I have
used in exactly the same application.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 7, 9:46*am, Mike Dobony wrote:
I have occasionally seen bolts with a dot of thread lock on them. *Any
idea what kind of thread lock this is? *I need it on a flashlight end
cap and cannot have the normal liquid type as it would destroy the
electrical connection. *Thanks.

Mike D.

A scrap of foil will tighten up that flashlight so it doesn't unscrew.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Edward Hennessey wrote:
"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
news
I have occasionally seen bolts with a dot of thread lock on them. Any idea
what kind of thread lock this is? I need it on a flashlight end cap and
cannot have the normal liquid type as it would destroy the electrical
connection. Thanks.

Mike D.

MD:

Under less than extreme circumstances, Teflon pipe tape will do. That is
what I have
used in exactly the same application.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

But Teflon does not conduct electricity so the flashlight will not work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
. net...
Edward Hennessey wrote:
"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
news
I have occasionally seen bolts with a dot of thread lock on them. Any
idea what kind of thread lock this is? I need it on a flashlight end
cap and cannot have the normal liquid type as it would destroy the
electrical connection. Thanks.

Mike D.

MD:

Under less than extreme circumstances, Teflon pipe tape will do. That is
what I have
used in exactly the same application.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

But Teflon does not conduct electricity so the flashlight will not work.

My bad. The answer is simple, you only wrap the top threads; that keeps
the cap on while permitting contact.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Edward Hennessey

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edward Hennessey wrote:
"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
news
I have occasionally seen bolts with a dot of thread lock on them. Any
idea what kind of thread lock this is? I need it on a flashlight end
cap and cannot have the normal liquid type as it would destroy the
electrical connection. Thanks.

Mike D.

MD:

Under less than extreme circumstances, Teflon pipe tape will do. That is
what I have
used in exactly the same application.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

But Teflon does not conduct electricity so the flashlight will not work.

I checked one of my flashlights fully wrapped as originally advertised and
as the threads
on the plug cut through the tape, there is contact.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey