Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Renovation, all new plumbing questions

I am renovating a very old house that I live in. Plumbing is in the
CRAWL space under the house, a very small tight crawl space. Drain
lines were broken when I moved in and new leaks and breaks every
couple months or so. House was built in the 40's, plumbing and
electrical look way older than that if you ask me. Most of the drain
lines are lead and the P traps are old school, look kinda like large
coffee cans. Since I'm under the house already replacing drain lines,
I would like to go ahead and replace supply lines. I know the house
has a .75" or ¾" PEX supply line from the meter to where the break was
just inside the crawl space. At that point it connects back to the
origional steel suppley line. The supply line has branch lines running
to the cold water faucets (toilets, showers, and washer) before ending
up at the water heater. Same for the hot water side leaving the water
heater. It branches off to the needed hot water faucets.

My question is if this is the best way to run the lines when I replace
then. I've seen instalations where they use a manifold type
connection with multiple ports that feed everything from that central
location. Or is the branching off the supply line a better way. Or is
there an even better way of doing this that I might not be aware of?