Posted to alt.home.repair

Default thermostat wire

I need to run some stat wire well before I'll have an hvac guy involved.
What's the number of conductors and gage that's normally used?
This will be a fairly typical forced air and a/c installation.

thanks, bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 3, 11:36*am, "bill allemann"
wrote:
I need to run some stat wire well before I'll have an hvac guy involved.
What's the number of conductors and gage that's normally used?
This will be a fairly typical forced air and a/c installation.

thanks, bill

"fairly typical" could mean a lot of things.

Google "thermostat wire" and you'll find things like...

http://www.hometech.com/techwire/tstat.html

18 Gauge Solid Conductor Wire
2 Conductor ("millivolt" heat only systems or damper motor control)
5 Conductor (Standard HVAC systems)
7 Conductor (Typical heat-pump systems)

and...

http://www.electrical-supply.net/pro..._prodID_E_3115

Bulk Wire & Cable: Thermostat Wire
18/6 AWG CL2 Brown Thermostat Wire 250 Ft. Long

and...

http://home.howstuffworks.com/home-thermostat3.htm

Wired
This thermostat is designed for a system with five wires -- the wire
terminations are marked as follows:

RH - This wire comes from the 24VAC transformer on the heating
system.
RC - This wire comes from the 24VAC transformer on the air-
conditioning system.
W - This wire comes from the relay that turns on the heating system.
Y - This wire comes from the relay that turns on the cooling system.
G - This wire comes from the relay that turns on the fan.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I need to run some stat wire well before I'll have an hvac guy involved.
What's the number of conductors and gage that's normally used?
This will be a fairly typical forced air and a/c installation.

thanks, bill

tell him what your up to, he might supply the wire for free, in some
cases
Posted to alt.home.repair

It is always a good idea to have a few extra wires, so in the future,
if/when you get new equipment that may possibly require more wires (2
stage etc.) you will be ready. For a basic gas heat system, the minimum
is 4 between the thermostat and furnace and 2 between the furnace and
outside unit. There is 7wire made for sprinkler systems that will also
work for thermostat wire. Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

bill allemann wrote:
I need to run some stat wire well before I'll have an hvac guy involved.
What's the number of conductors and gage that's normally used?
This will be a fairly typical forced air and a/c installation.

thanks, bill

Why not just ask the HVAC guy and then you will know for sure?

Posted to alt.home.repair

bill allemann wrote:
I need to run some stat wire well before I'll have an hvac guy involved.
What's the number of conductors and gage that's normally used?
This will be a fairly typical forced air and a/c installation.

It also depends on your thermostat. My White-Rogers 1F95-377
(http://comfortplus.white-rodgers.com...ltiandHeat.pdf)
- which I love because of the programmable fan control - uses 24V rather
than batteries for power, so it needs 5 wires.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 7, 9:37*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Ask the HVAC guy. Seriously, that's a lot more sensible than asking people
who have no information as to what your equipment is.

If you totally don't want to talk to the HVAC guy, run 18-8 wire, and then
you're covered for everything. Home Depot has it.

--

Christopher A. Young
.

"bill allemann" wrote in message

t...
I need to run some stat wire well before I'll have an hvac guy involved.
What's the number of conductors and gage that's normally used?
This will be a fairly typical forced air and a/c installation.

thanks, bill

Reminds me of the time the HVAC guys were installing my furnace and
needed to replace the T-stat wire. They were going to take a break for
lunch and I volunteered to pull the wire for them since I knew where
the old wire ran behind the ducts in the basement - I had pulled them
a few years before and wanted the new one in the same hidden area.

Easy enough job - just cut the old wire in the basement, tape the new
one to the old, go upstairs and pull the new one up with the old one.
Well, it's that easy unless you tape the new wire to wrong section of
wire in the basement, in which case all you do is pull the old one
out. What an idiot I was! Luckily the guys had actually left for
lunch because it took a long time and some sweaty work to fish the new
wires up through the cramped area behind the ductwork - just as long
and as sweaty as when I first pulled the wires a few years before.

The guys came back and I acted like it took me 5 minutes. g

Thermostat yellow wire optional? Davej Home Repair 20 August 13th 07 04:16 PM
Thermostat wire Golan UK diy 7 November 14th 06 10:05 AM
New Thermostat + 2 Wire System (problems) tom Home Repair 2 December 2nd 05 04:22 PM
Thermostat wire needed [email protected] Home Repair 27 May 12th 05 02:30 PM
2 wire thermostat manxman UK diy 4 November 29th 04 01:00 PM