Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default thermostat wire

On Jan 7, 9:37*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Ask the HVAC guy. Seriously, that's a lot more sensible than asking people
who have no information as to what your equipment is.

If you totally don't want to talk to the HVAC guy, run 18-8 wire, and then
you're covered for everything. Home Depot has it.

--

Christopher A. Young
.

"bill allemann" wrote in message

t...
I need to run some stat wire well before I'll have an hvac guy involved.
What's the number of conductors and gage that's normally used?
This will be a fairly typical forced air and a/c installation.

thanks, bill

Reminds me of the time the HVAC guys were installing my furnace and
needed to replace the T-stat wire. They were going to take a break for
lunch and I volunteered to pull the wire for them since I knew where
the old wire ran behind the ducts in the basement - I had pulled them
a few years before and wanted the new one in the same hidden area.

Easy enough job - just cut the old wire in the basement, tape the new
one to the old, go upstairs and pull the new one up with the old one.
Well, it's that easy unless you tape the new wire to wrong section of
wire in the basement, in which case all you do is pull the old one
out. What an idiot I was! Luckily the guys had actually left for
lunch because it took a long time and some sweaty work to fish the new
wires up through the cramped area behind the ductwork - just as long
and as sweaty as when I first pulled the wires a few years before.

The guys came back and I acted like it took me 5 minutes. g