Posted to alt.home.repair
m m is offline

Default Old 1973 Vintage Kenmore Refrigerator Problem

I have a 1973 Vintage Kenmore Sears refrigerator in my basement. This
is a small appatment size model with a non frost free freezer
compartment. The freezer compartment works okay, the tempereature is
below freezing. The refrigerator compartment is warm like about 80
degrees. There is only one thermostat locaed in the refirigerator
compartment. Does anyone know what could be wrong? About 30 year ago
I replaced the thermostat and I can no longer get parts for this unit.
I'm not sure that the thermostat is the problem because the freezer
works. Is there a fan that could be broken?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"m" wrote in message
I have a 1973 Vintage Kenmore Sears refrigerator in my basement. This
is a small appatment size model with a non frost free freezer
compartment. The freezer compartment works okay, the tempereature is
below freezing. The refrigerator compartment is warm like about 80
degrees. There is only one thermostat locaed in the refirigerator
compartment. Does anyone know what could be wrong? About 30 year ago
I replaced the thermostat and I can no longer get parts for this unit.
I'm not sure that the thermostat is the problem because the freezer
works. Is there a fan that could be broken?

There should be a fan between compartments. If it is bad (frequent
happening) you get the condition you describe. You can check it our or you
can get a new refrigerator and save about $10 to $15 a month on the
electric bill. We also had a second fridge in the basement. I replaced my
old 12 cu. ft one with an 18 cu. ft. frost free for $400 and it is now paid
for with the savings in power. I saw a similar model last week for $449.