Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Paint or stain kitchen cabinets?

My cabinets are stained with a very dark stain. I would like to
lighten them up or paint them. What's involved in prepping them for
both applications?

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 29, 6:47�am, sidekick86 wrote:
My cabinets are stained with a very dark stain. I would like to
lighten them up or paint them. �What's involved in prepping them for
both applications?

Thanks!

paint just sand prime and paint.

lightening stain will be a bad job, its not worth the effort.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 29, 7:32Â*am, " wrote:
On Dec 29, 6:47�am, sidekick86 wrote:

My cabinets are stained with a very dark stain. I would like to
lighten them up or paint them. �What's involved in prepping them for
both applications?

Thanks!

paint just sand prime and paint.

lightening stain will be a bad job, its not worth the effort.

Years of grease and oils from your hands will make paint not adhere,
stripping is usualy needed, it might be cheaper to replace them
Posted to alt.home.repair

sidekick86 wrote:

My cabinets are stained with a very dark stain. I would like to
lighten them up or paint them. What's involved in prepping them for
both applications?

Thanks!

Just for the sake of conversation, how many doors and drawers are
involved? Cabinets are
all solid wood, no printed wood grain? Plain doors or molding?

For either chore, you would need to take down doors and remove all
hardware. Painting over a dark
color, whether paint or stain, will probably take a minimum of three
coats of paint. Primer not needed
unless there is bare wood. All surfaces need to be absolutely
immaculate - no dust or grease? I'e done
both chores = stripped all of the cabs in a small kitchen that were
dark, dark, stained oak. Only problem
was when I did the end panels and found out they were not wood, but
printed grain on particle board.

Stripping is a major, messy chore. At least two appl. of paint remover,
scrape, scrub with steel wool, and final
clean-up with steel wool and mineral spirits. Stripping will lighten
the wood considerably, because it takes out
a good deal of the stain, but not all of it. When I stripped the oak
kitchen, I put a clear finish on the clean
wood and it was gorgeous, a medium brown. You really can't make oak light.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 03:47:59 -0800 (PST), sidekick86
wrote:

My cabinets are stained with a very dark stain. I would like to
lighten them up or paint them. What's involved in prepping them for
both applications?

Thanks!

You do have another choice. Using wood sheet veneer too resurface
cabinets, you can get a lighter finish.

Nice finish and not as messy as strip and paint...

Google: wood sheet veneer
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Oren wrote:
My cabinets are stained with a very dark stain. I would like to
lighten them up or paint them. What's involved in prepping them for
both applications?

You do have another choice. Using wood sheet veneer too resurface
cabinets, you can get a lighter finish.

Not very practical unless the doors and drawer fronts are
plain/flat.

But you can certainly replace the doors and drawer fronts
and use veneer on the cabinet frames. There's an entire
industry devoted to cabinet refacing in this manner.

Refacing involves significant expense but refinishing
involves a great deal of labor. Either way, it's generally
not worth it unless you're sure the existing cabinets are
solid and sound.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

I priced new drawer fronts once, it cost way more than new nice but
low end cabinets OP should at least price them by taking sketch of
existing space to lowes. its fast free and they give you prices