Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Help matching stain with existing cabinets

I am attempting to match up a custom built curved oak wall of an island
to Kraftsmaid cabinets (wood = cherry). Cabinets are stained color
"Peppercorn". My contractor stained the custom built wall twice with
Dark Walnut (darkest stain we could find) and then put the poly on.
It's still a bit lighter than the cabinet finish.

How do you think I could get it darker? Should I paint it?

http://www.kraftmaid.com/doorsfinish...oorstyleid=135
To see the cabinet stain color, click on this link and select Finish
"Peppercorn"

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...
I am attempting to match up a custom built curved oak wall of an island
to Kraftsmaid cabinets (wood = cherry). Cabinets are stained color
"Peppercorn". My contractor stained the custom built wall twice with
Dark Walnut (darkest stain we could find) and then put the poly on.
It's still a bit lighter than the cabinet finish.

How do you think I could get it darker? Should I paint it?

http://www.kraftmaid.com/doorsfinish...oorstyleid=135
To see the cabinet stain color, click on this link and select Finish
"Peppercorn"

You want to match stained cherry so you built the wall out of oak. Talk
about starting out in the hole.

Now that the poly is on it, you don't have a lot of choices. It would have
to be stripped to re-stain. If you made the wall from the same wood, you
could probably buy the "peppercorn" stain from Kraftmaid. You still can,
but different woods have different characteristics.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. net...

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

When I built the cabinet doors for my SIL remodel I contacted KraftMaid to
see if we could purchase the stain they used. Nope. Reason being, the
cabinets are made and finished by others (off-shore) and they don't have
anything except touch-up kits. We were able to take a door from their
cabinet display and had the paint dept match the color. Must admit it was a
perfect match but it was paint - not stain. SIL was happy - she got new
doors and drawers and the color she wanted.....

Bob S.